Tyre valve failure

Is it common for tyre valves to fail? I've just had to replace two in the Pirelli P6000s on our Volvo, and it looks like another is deflating slowly. The tyres are about two years old.

E.

Reply to
eastender

In what way is it failing?

If it's leaking externally where it fits through the wheel then the likelihood is that the valve is old, and has not been replaced with the tyre.

If air is coming out through the valve, has the valve always been fitted with dust caps? If not, what happens is that road dirt enters the valve. When the tyre is next inflated the dirt can get trapped under the valve seating.

Failure IME is very uncommon.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'd say it's more likely to be a poor seal around the rim.

How old is the car? - if the alloys are starting to suffer from a bit of corrosion, that's why the tyre is deflating.

Reply to
SteveH

It's a 2001 Volvo V70 about 75,000 miles. The tyre place said the valves were leaking - don't know how. Only £5 to replace each of the two so far and it seems to have fixed the deflation. There have been/are dust caps all round.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Remove valve cap. Put a bit of spittle on the tip of your finger and=20 wipe across top of valve so it forms a thin film. If there's a leak,=20 it'll produce a bubble or you won't be able to form a film over it.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

I always use a squirty bottle with screenwash in it to find the leaks. As the others have said, the most common problem is either leaking past the valve core, or leaking round where it enters the rim. The only actual faulty valve I've seen in over thirty years was one which was leaking between the rubber part and the brass stem of the valve.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat