Replacement tyre

My Scenic is fitted with Continental ecocontact ep 195/65 R15 91T tyres. There is a nick in the wall of one of them so it needs replacing. I tried my local National garage and they offered me a Avon which I declined.

I can't seem to find anywhere that has this brand of tyre, the closest seems to be CONTINENTAL - ECO CONTACT 3 .

Would this be an adequate and safe replacement?

TIA

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

Steve Rainbird ( snipped-for-privacy@rainbird.me.nospam.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Looking at Continental's website, they don't seem to list the EcoContact EP any more - so the EcoContact 3 is probably the nearest you're likely to get.

Be very well worth looking at the rest of the tyres, and think about replacing as a pair.

Now, would they go on the front, or the rear...?

Reply to
Adrian

Can't see ecocontact EP listed anywhere. Eco contact 3 might well be the=20 replacement?

Available from

for =C2=A372.64 fully fitted. Jim

--=20

Jim Mason

£59.90 from
Are they an ok company Any experiences welcome.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

mytyres.co.uk are usually cheaper than blackcircles - same system except that BC inc all costs, but mytyres only inc delivery, vat etc and you pay the fitter locally yourself.

Reply to
Grandad

Bought some tyres from mytyres recently. (17th feb) They were unable to take payment from the switch card apparently, but sent the tyres anyway, very promptly (IIRC, the monday following the friday). (I'm sure the card number was correct, and there were funds in the account.)

They still have not cashed the cheque sent them 2 weeks ago, and the email informing me that the payment had failed had a phone number that gave unobtainable.

4* michilin P3000 energy, about 100 quid.

The tyres were supplied in pairs, strapped together with fiberglass strapping, and no protection between that and the beads.

I wonder if the fact that the tyres leaked for the first week or so is related.

So, on the minus side, poor communication. On the plus side, free tyres!

Reply to
Ian Stirling

about £35 fitted haggle them to hell

Reply to
Mindwipe

I used them twice just recently and I won't be going to any of the "high street" ones anymore - they were great.

And it was the Eco Contact 3's that I had fitted to my Mitsubishi. *vast* improvement over the Goodyear GT2's that came with it from the factory...

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Yep, the rubber needs time to remove the 'set' that the strapping put on it just like a flat spot on tyres that have been on a car sat idle for some time. On my car two tyres are still deflating slowly even though the tyre places and dealer have said valve and tyre bead AOK. I'm about ready to see if I can get the whells replaced under warranty.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

In message , Adrian writes

We had the same issue with the MX5. Non-repairable puncture on a 50% worn discontinued tyre. The official replacement was a completely different tread pattern. I didn't feel too bad about it after I'd had a close look, though. There was plenty of tread left, but the rubber looked old. Previous owner must have been a nun. I'm not convinced of the freshness of the online tyre dealers' stock lists, though; one of them claimed to have the discontinued tyre. I phoned to check. They didn't.

Compromise, and put them both on the left...

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker ( snipped-for-privacy@otolith.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Could be worse - they could have had it, shipped it, and it'd been old old stock.

No, the right. Obviously. Do you want to lose control on roundabouts?

But which way? Hmmm?

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

Hmm. You reckon they deteriorate significantly in storage then?

Damn, good point. Opposite corners then.

Spinning rapidly.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker ( snipped-for-privacy@otolith.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Depends on how they're stored. UV's the thing that tyres don't like.

IIRC, they're reckoned to have a usable life of about five years from manufacture.

Reply to
Adrian

We have that size on the Octavia. Conti PremiumContact are good, but think about replacing as a pair.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable