tyre ratings

Hello,

I'm looking to buy some new tyres and I was looking at some of the internet tyre sellers' web sites. They emphasise that if you buy tyres of a lower rating than that specified by the car's manufacturer, you can invalidate your insurance.

How do you find out what the rating should be? I couldn't find anything in the handbook. I don't think copying what is already on the car is 100% foolproof because the previous owner could have changed the tyres to a different rating.

Is the load rating, the maximum weight of the car divided by four?

Why do we need so many speed ratings? For example T is 118mph, H is

130mph, V is 149mph. In the UK we don't get to drive this fast, so surely anything rated up to 100mph should be ok?

How does a fast rated tyre differ from a slower one? Is it thicker or made of a different rubber?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Then look at the manufacturer's top speed for the model. The car will originally have tyres rated for the top speed. I think you will have to match the factory rating of the tyres. The car could e.g. be driven on German autobahns.

Presumably stronger, but it's a bit silly if insurance demands the ratings for illegal UK speeds. E.g. the official top speed of my 18 year old saab is 131 mph, so H rated tyres would potentially fall foul of the insurance. However, I wonder if it would stand up in a court since H rated tyres would obviously not make any difference at legal speeds in any way.

Reply to
johannes

Don't you have a VW? Check inside the fuel filler for the speed rating- the standard sizes are listed and IIRC it has the speed rating too.

FWIW, when I told my insurance co about my winter tyres (same size, but lower speed rating), they didn't care.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Every handbook I've ever seen gives the tyre spec. Look for the speed rating letter - that's the important one as well as size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not so. The speed rating also takes into account the likely loading on the tyre at other speeds. So always replace with the same speed rating or higher.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many manufacturers put the infomation on a graphic , usally on one of the front door posts

Reply to
steve robinson

It's not that simple though,the higher rated ones are often stiffer as well which affects your handling at legal speeds, ask your insurer what they say.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Many years ago I bought a 3 year old Rover P6 3500. It had two new Pirelli Cinturato R rated tyres on the rear - the fronts were original H rated Avons. Washing it a few days after I'd got it, I noticed a chunk of tread missing from the outside edge of one of the rear tyres.

At that time Pirelli had their main depot close to here so I went there. Their tech guy (in a suit;-)) looked at it and explained it needed their H rated tyres due to the torque and loading. He did me a very good deal on 5 brand new Pirelli HRs. Which had a different tread from the R.

Of course that car had a smaller section tyre than is common these days -

185 - for the weight and performance, but I'd say the same sort of 'laws' still apply.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure if it still holds true but 10 years ago all Avon tyres regardless of marking were effectively Z rated as the only thing that changed during the production process was the tread pattern and the sidewall markings.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I bought a set of Avons for my SD1 about then. 205 60 VR 15. Just about the worst tyres I've ever had - poor wet grip, noisy in a straight line and squealed easily when cornering. The Colway remoulds I replaced them with were a million times better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Those were the days.

For some reason, the very people who used to slate remoulds will happily buy Dark Horse Me Love You Long Time Sunny Ditchfinder specials.

Shame that Colway went bust, as they were great track day tyres.

Reply to
SteveH

They did a good copy of the BFG MT tyre too for off-roading .. the choice of many for play days instead of ruining expensive BFG's.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Indeed. Given tyre places pay to dispose of carcasses, the remould people can afford to be *very* picky about the ones they use for remoulding.

I've just had an MOT failure due to a bulge on one side wall. Tyre only half worn - if that. But given what they cost and the excellent performance I'd have bought them again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That wouldn't surprise me, I never said they were any good :)

I won't touch Goodyear, nor Pirelli after incidents with their tyres over the years. I prefer Michelin or Continental, or in winter Nokian.

Reply to
The Other Mike