Tyres 18000 miles

I had a set of new Michelin's put on the car (puggy 206SW) and they have lasted just 18000 miles.

The car is hardly used (5000 yearly) tyre pressures are fine as is tracking. I'm generally a careful driver.

This doesn't seem a lot to me at all. Is it?

Reply to
Mike

All four worn out equally?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds fine to me - I generally get 5-10k from a pair of fronts on a FWD car, depending on brand.

Reply to
SteveH

Thank goodness I don't have FWD. I get around 25,000 miles from a set of decent tyres. All that with better steering and handling too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agree if you have that many its a bargain. I get about 12000 on the 307 fronts.

Reply to
Rob

Yep; 10K for the fronts with my Focus, 20K for the rears.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No they were changed at different times due to a puncture.

Reply to
Mike

Wait till you see how long a set of cheapies last you! If you have got 18k from front tyres on a 206 then you must be a conservative driver or the tyres are very good, or a combo. I have just retired (pun intended) the Michelins from the front of my XR4x4, they lasted over 36k and 15 years.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I think I get 12-15 from fronts on my TDI Leon, but that's with a fair amount of motorway use.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Bloody hell.

I'm surprised they passed an MOT - they must have been well past their best, with cracking sidewalls and all the grip of freshly greased teflon.

Reply to
SteveH

Surface cracking is not an MOT fail in any case, neither is friction level!! no cracks in any case, just low tread, they seemed to grip OK, most of the time they have been out of daylight which would help, certainly much better grip than the cheapies that had crept onto the back from a breakers!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Boot polish or a good thick tyre paint covers the cracking.

I had tyres on the MG which were made in 1965 and they were replaced in about 2007. Only because one threw a lump of tread.

Reply to
Rob

Which type of Michelins were they and what size? My Michelins (Pilot Primacy) that I just replaced in the last 18 months the fronts lasted just over 50k and the rears 65k!!! I average 8 to 12k pa.

I replaced them with Goodyear OptiGrips as I couldn't afford to replace like for like. I'm not expecting to get anywhere near from the Optigrips.

Reply to
John

I got 70k from Michelin Energy on the rear of a Pug 306 1.9TD 5d hatch (but only 35k on the fronts). Watching the wear pattern, I adjusted the pressures to 5 psi above spec. Even wear all over. The current BMW 118i 5d hatch is on the original Michelins (non self-supporting tyres- hooray) and has 25k on them and still 4mm tread left at least.

David

Reply to
David

Depends on your driving style and use. I do about 30k long distance miles each year, and drive like a nun. Car on all original brakes at 98k.

My 2004 206 SW HDi (2.0) did about 20k on Conti's on the front and about 30k with BF Goodrich (made by Michelin) the N/S rear regularly did 20k the O/S about 35k. Never got to the bottom of it! My current Touran did 20k on first Conti fronts, 40k on the rears and subsequently 30k Bridgestone fronts (2 pairs) and 51k rears. Current Michelin Primacy fronts have done 18k and are at 4.5mm.

Reply to
Doctor D