Unusual bolt.

Just been looking at the brake caliper I've just bought for my Megane (as I got the wrong one, which a little too small - grrr!). I noticed the two large bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together are rather unusual. They appear to be allen-key style socket bolts, but 5-sides instead of 6-sided. Do these have a name, as I've never seen this sort before or the tool that'll go with them?

Reply to
Davemar

the french have had these for years.

It is never necessary to dismantle the two halves, so don't worry about them.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Trust them!

You wouldn't have thought so, but it was an option to get me out of a hole with a knackered caliper of the right size and a working caliper of the wrong size. Swapping the halves over would have given me a working caliper of the right size.

Reply to
Davemar

Calipers like this usually have 'O' ring seals between the two halves. If you split them you are supposed to replace the seals. The correct 'O' rings will not be easily obtained without a full seal kit as they are made from a grade of rubber that is resistant to brake fluid and not the usual stuff that is only oil and water resistant.

Peter Hill

Can't see what they will be sealing in. The far half of the caliper is just a solid lump of metal, its doesn't contain anything. The join between the two halves doesn't have to have any properties apart from strength from what I can see.

Still no answer about the name of the bolt type though....

Reply to
Davemar

They are officially called "Penta head" bolts

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks, and that sounds like a good name for them too.

Reply to
Davemar