Vauxhall Cavalier water temp

Hi there,

Just bought my son a '94 LSi 2.0 Lt Cavalier. The car is in great condition, FSH, being owned by a very fastidious gentleman. One aspect of concern though is the fluctuating water temp reading if the car is in slow traffic or is being driven enthusiastically. The temp, normally at about 90-92 on the gauge can rise quite quickly to 97- 98 and cause the fan to kick in. Having very little experience of cavaliers, is this a trait that they have or might I need to maybe flush through the radiator to remove any gunge. The water level is fine and there are no leaks, new water pump 12 months ago. Also, the external temp gauge is not working, do you think I just need to buy a new sensor from www.autovaux.

Thanks guys

Reply to
JKJ2

Well you might as well flush the radiator but that doesn't sound unreasonable.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nothing to worry about there. The needle on my cav sits just on the edge of the blue when cruising and shoots up to one mark below the red before the fan kicks in when crawling. Only worry if the needle doesn't stop climbing!

If you flush the radiator and it contained gunge, you might reveal a hole. Again, nothing to worry about provided you have a bottle of new gunge handy (I've heard sawdust works as well as RadWeld).

Btw, the numbers on the gauge don't actually mean that much.

___

DP