Vauxhall Corsa ??tappet?? rattle

Hi,

I've got a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 (8-valve). When it's cold weather the tappets rattle REALLY badly when you first start it up after it's been standing for a couple of hours.

When I asked about this at the garage I was told it was the hydraulic tappets getting old (~80k miles)...I've got to admit to being sceptical and wondered if anyone had experienced similar and knew how to fix it?

Cheers, James

Reply to
James Amor

it probably is the hydraulic tappetts, a new set fitted would cost about 100 quid plus parts, say a total of less than 250 (done properly inc cambelt, oil/filter etc.)

Reply to
mrcheerful

James,

Can't offer any direct advice, however, CavWeb

and MigWeb
tend to be sympathetic to all Vauxhall related problems, usually plenty of good advice offered and some discussions in their archives on Corsa / tappet issues.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

depends on age of car - ours is 15 and I just let it rattle a bit in the cold weather - its fine in the summer and not worth the cost of doing it as we'll run her into the ground. only 96,000 miles on her though.

Reply to
Rude Olf

Typical, just had my cambelt done at the 80k service! Have you had any experience with Wynn's tappet cleaner oil additive? I was tempted to try it but thought I might just end up with very clean (but still knackered!) tappets!

Reply to
jamesamor

Cheers for the advice Mike, I'll have a look the sites later. Just spotted Wynn's tappet cleaner oil additive in Halfords, but might just end up with clean rattly tappets and =A35 less!

Have a good christmas, give me a shout if you fancy a beer between christmas a new year, James

Reply to
jamesamor