Vauxhall Corsa

Hi am hoping someone can help? Yesterday as i was driving home from work i joined a dual carriageway at 40 mph when my 2004 Vauxhall Corsa

1=2E2 16v made a sharp thudding noise followed by a rapid rattling noise. The engine management light came on and i stopped on the side of the road. A quick inspection of the engine showed a lot of oil splattered across the back of the engine and a lot leaking from underneath near the sump. Breakdown recovery towed me to my local vauxhall garage, who have inspected the engine. They said that the engine is totalled because i had shot a rod into the engine and sump, he then said following an audit of the engine management system, there were a couple of insignificant codes but the one that is causing a problem with the warranty guy is an 'engine excess' it shows that the engine was revved over 6,500 rpm before it stopped. Not by me i might add and the engine certainly hadnt done that. He said that vauxhall would have to send out an engineer to inspect it before making a decision on the warranty. That was at 3.30pm this afternoon. i pointed out that if i was going to have pay for a hire car because we were waiting on their engineer surely they could provide a courtesy car?? he said he would get back to me. At 5.30pm this evening another guy rang me and told me the same thing but that the damage was not covered under warranty following a telephone conversation with the engineer, the cost to replace said engine is going to be =A33500!!! should this have happened to a 2 1/2 year old car with 25,000 miles on its clock, or is it because am a female that has no idea what is going on??? help?! feel that this is all a little suspect. Thanks
Reply to
kelly.dillon2

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... Hi am hoping someone can help? Yesterday as i was driving home from work i joined a dual carriageway at 40 mph when my 2004 Vauxhall Corsa

1.2 16v made a sharp thudding noise followed by a rapid rattling noise. The engine management light came on and i stopped on the side of the road. A quick inspection of the engine showed a lot of oil splattered across the back of the engine and a lot leaking from underneath near the sump. Breakdown recovery towed me to my local vauxhall garage, who have inspected the engine. They said that the engine is totalled because i had shot a rod into the engine and sump, he then said following an audit of the engine management system, there were a couple of insignificant codes but the one that is causing a problem with the warranty guy is an 'engine excess' it shows that the engine was revved over 6,500 rpm before it stopped. Not by me i might add and the engine certainly hadnt done that. He said that vauxhall would have to send out an engineer to inspect it before making a decision on the warranty. That was at 3.30pm this afternoon. i pointed out that if i was going to have pay for a hire car because we were waiting on their engineer surely they could provide a courtesy car?? he said he would get back to me. At 5.30pm this evening another guy rang me and told me the same thing but that the damage was not covered under warranty following a telephone conversation with the engineer, the cost to replace said engine is going to be £3500!!! should this have happened to a 2 1/2 year old car with 25,000 miles on its clock, or is it because am a female that has no idea what is going on??? help?! feel that this is all a little suspect. Thanks

Surely, that's not possible because the rev limiter would cut in long before rods were spat out?

Reply to
Iridium

I'd think more like a rod took out the crank sensor and that generated the

6500RPM signal just before cutout. Can a Corsa 1.2 engine rev that high?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

how would i go about finding out?

Reply to
kelly.dillon2

It will do if revving it, but not if you miss a gear change. The rev limiter can't do much if you stick it in the wrong gear.

Reply to
moray

"Chris Dugan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Fourth to First instead of Fifth? :-)

Reply to
Tunku

didnt miss a gear though ?

Reply to
kelly.dillon2

didnt miss a gear though ?

************************************

Have you in the past though? Certain fault codes are kept in the ECU memory until somebody actually plugs a diagnostic machine in and deletes them. The damage may of been done a while ago, and been gradually weakening the rod, until it finally gave up.

I'd be inclined to contact vauxhall aftersales for a more definitive answer about getting a warranty claim.

Reply to
moray

or fifth to second.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's possibe for a badly constructed engine to act...well...'s**te' after not many miles. Plus it's a corsa, and i've actually heard of this problem before!

I'd be inclined to believe the poster in this instance purely from past experience. Explain to the dealer that the sensor that stated 6500rpm was done before the incident happened could have actually been a failure, as its possible a rod took out the crank sensor itself, causing the stupidly high reading.

There's something suspect in all of this, so it's either the engine, or the poster. Let's presume the engine/vauxhall diagnostics.

Reply to
gm

an update... vauxhall are still refusing to accept the warranty claim, however they have now made a 'goodwill' offer which reduces the cost of the engine, etc down from =A33500 to just =A3300!!! thats without any bolshiness from me, plus the engineer hasnt even been out to look at the car yet!! i still think this is highly suspect!

Reply to
kelly.dillon2

an update... vauxhall are still refusing to accept the warranty claim, however they have now made a 'goodwill' offer which reduces the cost of the engine, etc down from £3500 to just £300!!! thats without any bolshiness from me, plus the engineer hasnt even been out to look at the car yet!! i still think this is highly suspect!

Good, thats a great relief..

To be honest, you would have to 'buzz' it alot higher than 6500rpm to throw a rod anyhow, and the first thing to happen would be valve bounce causing the valves to hit the pistons.

These motors are safe to 7000rpm at least.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

They are not admitting liability and they will not cover any other expenses of yours is that their offer means.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Like most things these days. Any excuse a company can use to get out of anything they will. In future use an old car if it breaks chuck it and get another. If they hold out and will not buy a new engine for it a visit to the scrap yard will have a replacement at a fraction of the cost.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Like most things these days. Any excuse a company can use to get out of anything they will. In future use an old car if it breaks chuck it and get another. If they hold out and will not buy a new engine for it a visit to the scrap yard will have a replacement at a fraction of the cost.

-=-=-=-

I disagree. Not everybody wants an old car, not everybody can be doing with the potential breakdown waiting to happen.

Reply to
DervMan