Vauxhall VectraC EOBD interface?

Well No.1 son bought his first car today. He got a surprisingly honest 03 plate Vectra 2.2SXi with full history for 900, and drove it back to Melksham from coventry without any mishaps 2 owners from new, and the last one paid out a fair bit on a couple of jobs in the last 2 years: New clutch/DMF/CSC + 6hrs labour [1100!], and another chunk of cash on 2 rear arms and springs. It has 3 nearly new Avon tyres, and one about 50%. Totally standard and ~78k miles. Even the aircon works as it should. There is a minor oil leak i'll have a look at for him this weekend but on the whole, not a bad deal at all. As I'll probably be down to do the diags and at least some of the work on this in the future, does anyone have any recommendations as to a cheap interface and software? Something like this on ebay looks promising:

Cheers, JB

Reply to
JB
[...]

I have a cheap USB/OBD reader like the one you've linked to. It works, but the first one didn't. The free software is pretty unreliable as well.

Mr C generally advises that the self-contained readers are more reliable; he may be along to recommend one, or you could search the archives.

Bear in mind that any cheap OBD tool will only read/reset basic engine related items. You won't be able to 'see' manufacturer-specific things. You need much more expensive devices in order to do that.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hi chris. thanks for advice. I realise that I won't get the more 'advanced' features from a cheapie, but I've got a couple of nice scopes and other tools so it's more a case of clearing codes. Anything 'orrible, and it goes to his mate's garage who has a snap on 'suite'. I'll give it a go i think. cheers. JB

Reply to
JB

I use a Creader IV for 99 percent of jobs on ordinary cars, for the others I try a borrowed Launch X431, but so far that has not actually shown anything extra except for re-programming remotes on some cars. As I have just got an andoid tablet I have ordered a bluetooth elm interface, but I do not have much advance faith in it, as the wired elm unit I bought never actually worked for me.

For the vectra B diesel that gave me a couple of days of grief the creader showed up and cleared the codes, although the fault was hardware and not directly related to the codes thrown up.

FWIW I have found the Vectra C to be a thoroughly unpleasant and unreliable car, happily all the ones I worked on have gone to the breakers in the sky (usually when they need a clutch and rear suspension) and I won't take on any fresh ones, so that is nice.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I think it's worth a punt for

Reply to
JB

Any noise at all from the cam chain either move in on quickly, or pull it apart right away!

If it's the Direct model, prepare him for needing a high pressure pump.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

He's already had that speech (and it won't be the latter route either!)

"Direct"? As in direct injection petrol? never knew they did one of those. Better find out quick.

Cheers,

JB

Reply to
JB

JB pretended :

75K - 80K is about the right mileage for the chain to start making noises. It should have the later oil spray at that year but not guarenteed.

Z22SE should be the engine code but if Y22YH then its direct injection.

is a great forum for help on these.

Reply to
Paul Edwards

Many thanks for the info. cheers. JB

Reply to
JB

Creo que este opel profesional estupendo tech2 de la herramienta de diagn óstico

muy bien

Reply to
diagnostico.coche.es