-Ve Connection On Alternator ... is it necessary?

I've just replaced the alternator on my Talbot Express van (see other post on failing diode(s) and 2-3 phase alternator). The replacement alternator has an extra terminal which is causing me some concern. It has the 2 normal ones (large one for battery connection and small one for the warning lamp), but it also has one marked -ve (Negative). It doesn't seem to matter if I connect it to ground or not so I've decided to connect it to the alternator body temporarily until I can find out if it needs to be connected or not. I'd rather not drive the van until I'm sure. Any ideas if this needs to be connected or if not then what is it for ?

Thank you, Steve

Reply to
SandS

some vehicles rubber mount the alternator, these would use the -ve connection. it will do no harm to earth it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful