What are Universal Backboxes?

Question as header, i need a new backbox and was trailing through sites being astonished at prices when i've come accross these things which seem to be comparatively cheap. They look a bit boy-racerish but for the money saving i'd be quite happy.

Is there even room for baffles inside those things they just look like a big pipe to me? How do they fit and how do they perform and why do people bother buying the real thing if they're any good?

Thanks for replies Paul

Reply to
Paul. A. Latham

You COULD be right, but HOW many people are GOING to believe you if YOU write like THE Sunday Sport?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

In news:50YKc.819$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net, k.simons decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

May have been the case 15 years ago, but it's not the case now.

It's an easier way, but it's not the only way.

It's always been like that though, when I was 18ish people used to spend fortunes trying to get more power out of 1.3 Ford Escort Mk2s. Instead of just buying an RS2000. (Which was my chosen route).

Yeah, that's true enough, but some of them actually enjoy it. There are even people out there who enjoying logging the weekly fuel consumption on Ford Kas though, so it takes all sorts.

As for the OP's question about universal backboxes, they're basically just simple boxes which you buy if no-one makes a "performance" exhaust for your particular car.

If you owned, for example, a beige Daf 33, and you wanted to put a big exhaust on so it sounds "meatier", the normal first port of call would be something like the Demon Tweeks catalogue to see if Ansa, Scorpion, Magnex or similar build a 4" twin tail pipe back box for a 1967 1200cc Daf 33. You'd be unlikely to find one, so you'd get more desperate and start looking through the "less good" exhausts.. like the "Ashley" ones... You'd not find one their either.. Now you'd be beginning to worry. How could you possibly turn up on Currys' car park at midnight with the standard exhaust? You'd have to stay in for the night. The £1800 a year you're paying for insurance (due to the 20" alloys and £4k ice install in the Daf) would be wasted for the night... So you go outside and crawl under the Daf... pipe looks straight enough... bracket there and there... right... Back to the Tweeks catalogue and there it is "The Peco Rectal Ranger - Guaranteed to produce 3 points a month"... ideal, you think... bung your mate who's on a training scheme at Kwik Fit a tenner on a Saturday afternoon and there it is.. Two glorious 4" tailpipes on a slightly wonky angle, and a deep exhaust note that sets off car alarms as you go past..

Reply to
Pete M

Hello,

Avoid boy racer rubbish like peco, they are made to just make a loud noise. The boy racer in his 1.0 12 valve Corsa will think he is in a formula 1 until an old granny goes past him in an electric wheelchair. I used a Peco and it rotted after 12 months, customer service was crap and they didn't want to acknowledge the false claims they made about "more power". All of which are crap as they couldn't prove any of them. I had to contact the ASA about Peco after they made false claims. You're better getting any old cheap exhaust as just a back box will do NOTHING for your performance. A complete exhaust doesn't either. Oh wow, 2 BHP, as if that is noticable. Most figures are INVENTED by SALES people who just want money, or by boy racers trying to impress their friends. The only way to make a car go faster is buy one with a bigger engine. Boy racers are being conned as they're all thick, so companies tailor advertising towards low intelligence owners with low powered cars and make a fortune. Which is quite funny. Just think about air filters, imagine sucking all that lovely warm air into the engine from under the bonnet - it slows it down! The companies responded to that by advertising "housed" air filters and idiot boy racers paid a fortune for them too. It would have been better buying a panel filter and stuffing it in the original air box. Most of the crappy cars boy racers have couldn't even use a filter to full capacity. They use as much air that could be supplied by a McDonalds straw.

Oh well, leave them to it. WOW, 1litre 45BHP Corsa and 0-60 in 18 seconds - done up with stupid body kits and silly lights! tossers, I would be ashamed to drive anything like that or even be a passenger. You can see some examples of low intelligence boy racers on the site below -

with all the money they spent, they could have bought a decent car. A nice quiet but fast one with no silly girly bits added.

"Paul. A. Latham" wrote in message news:CGVKc.75894$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
k.simons

Thankyou all, taking into account what you've said i think i'll keep to a standard backbox.

A little note:

For Mid&Rear box for a Rover 820:

Kwik Fit - £68 Mid box only ATS Euro- £117 for both National Tyres - £276 for both (!)

Such a price difference! The Universal things were going on ebay at 30 odd quid, so you can understand me wondering what they're like.

buypartsby.co.uk can do both for £70 inc VAT & Delivery + 2yr warranty. I think i'll be ordering from there & fitting myself unless there's somewhere cheaper comes up.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul. A. Latham