Vectra 2 litre 2004 - starting problem

History is that when not used for 3 days, parked nose-up on a slope, it won't start, and requires cranking for many minutes; which suggests the injector pump is having to suck air.

Bought from dealer November 2012, fairly low mileage at 55,000.

Poor starting problem immediately apparent, so dealer arranged for garage to replace injector seals. Mechanic fitted pressure gauge (to injection pump?) and recorded drop in pressure when left overnight. Also reported engine oil visible in fuel, so explained to me that this was an indication of leaking injector seals. He replaced seals and repeated overnight pressure test - now no loss of pressure.

What I don't understand is why there is any connection between the fuel and lubrication systems which would allow lubrication oil to enter the fuel. Can anybody explain, or suggest where I might find a good drawing to show the assembly of the injectors into the head?

Also I replaced the spill pipes a month ago - no improvement.

There appear to be non-return valves fitted in both the flow and return fuel pipes leadng to the injector pump; and these seem to be an improvised installation rather than a neat arrangement as on might expect from the manufacturer. Are these standard, or is it an improvisation that the previous owner arranged?

Thanks,

Reply to
Graham J

This is a petrol car?

The non return valve are usually fitted internally to the pump and pressure regulator. Not sure about your model, though.

If an injector is leaking, fuel will get into the cylinder after the engine stops due to the pressure left in the rail and if enough will get past the piston and into the oil.

How difficult is it to remove the injectors and fuel rail? With them out and the pump running you should see easily if any are leaking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, Diesel

[snip]