ventilation water

1996 Xantia TD SX

Small but annoying problem, when I switch on the fan all the windows steam up -really badly and for a long time.

I know what the problem is, just looking for advice on how to fix effectively. The car is left for long periods of time outside without being used. Small amounts of water and I guess condensation are getting in through the vent intake under the scuttle panel below the windscreen (this is a known design fault!).

Because the car is left so long between use the amount of water in the intake ducting builds up to an extent where it can't be shifted by use of the blower fan, basically theres always water in the ducting.

What I thought I would do is take off the blower motor and reach inside the ducting with a rag and give it a good clear out. And then modify the intake somehow to prevent the water getting in. I was also expecting to find a mushy pollen filter, but on initial inspection there doesn't appear to be one.

So, does this model have a pollen filter (non A/C) ? Would my idea of taking the blower motor off to gain access to the ducting work? Any ideas on how to modify the intake to stop water dripping in ? I was thinking of some sort of plastic cowl with its entry pointing downwards.

Reply to
JJ

get a car cover. the pollen filter is inside the car behind the glove box (if there is one) If the drainage system for the heater ducting is blocked then any car can suffer like this.

Get to the heater ducting and see where all the drains are and clean them out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Small amounts of water and I guess condensation are getting in through the vent intake under the scuttle panel below the windscreen (this is a known design fault!).

That's one solution I suppose.

Had a look in this area - can't find one. Haynes says 'removal of pollen filter (A/C models)', mines not got aircon so looking for confirmation that it also does not have a pollen filter. Sure a (trusted) mech changed one in the past.

Didn't think of that, can't see any obvious drain points, ducting seems to go straight from intake down to blower fan. If there are any (anyone?) then that would seem to be part of the solution.

Reply to
JJ

Can you add a drain? I can remember someone with a cortina adding some covers over the inlet of the heater for a similar problem.

Reply to
Mrcheerful