Warming engine

What's the rule on starting a cold engine, I have a 96 Rover.

Should I just drive off right away, or leave it for a minute to warm up.

Thanks

Reply to
ZZZZZ

Start up and drive off. Just don't cane it.

Reply to
gazzafield

The message from "ZZZZZ" contains these words:

Ten or fifteen seconds to make sure the oil pressure is fully up on the turbo if you've got one, then drive away gently. Don't thrash it or work it hard until it's had a few minutes to get warm.

Reply to
Guy King

Agreed. Takes 10 minutes for my oil to be up to caning temperature, my water is at full temp in 4 minutes.

Coyoteboy

Just 15 seconds (or until the top end quietens down) then drive gently. Allow twice the time for the water gauge to reach normal (or, on those accursed gaugeless cars, for the blue light to extinguish) before you thrash it hard. The oil takes a bit longer to warm up.

If your windows are iced use warm water (followed by the wipers on the windscreen, to prevent re-icing). It won't do any harm.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable