what budget car would you buy?

ok you have a budget of £1500, the car is for everyday use, 2 passengers, possible some motorway driving.

Reply to
grape

TR7

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

something japanese

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A van, you'll get newer for the same money.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

What kind?

Reply to
grape

with three seats: transit?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If you aren't too worried about petrol prices, you can now get quite reasonable Jeeps going really cheap - well within your price range!

Reply to
Brad Thrust

Indeed, there is a very nice 96 diesel cherokee near me for a thousand, what a bargain, if I could justify it I would have it myself, even has working air con.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Vans are rarely as well looked after as a car. Nowhere near as practical for the average person either, sooner or later there will come a time when it is convenient to take a third or fourth passenger.

In answer to the OP, I would advise a Focus as the number on the market keeps prices fairly competitive. Cheapish on insurance and if you get a diesel a decent mpg as well.

Regards

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Peugeot 306

Reply to
Abo

Skoda Felicia 1.3, maybe even an early Octavia. I paid =A31700 for a 2000 plate one in 2006. Sadly due to redundancy I=20 needed to sell it in 2007 and only got =A31200 for it with near full=20 history. It was a 2.0 glxi and was mint on the motorway. But I was doing=20 stop start local driving.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

I Saab 9000. But then I would say that wouldn't I?

Reply to
johannes

There's one on a driveway near me with a sticker for 800quid in the window. It's been there so long you can no longer see the wheels for grass, but the price hasn't dropped any. Doubt if it's a diesel though.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I've one, ex United Utilities, with a service record as long as your arm - I not convinced your claim holds water.

Sooner or later you will find the van more convenient for that trip back from the buliders merchant or cash and carry - I suspect that advantage far outweights the need for the ocassional 3rd or 4th passenger capability. That was my thinking, so far so good.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

No, third or fourth passenger is going to be a far more common thing than builders merchant trip, for me. YMMV.

Reply to
grape