Whistling on acceleration

Hi

I've got a (minor) problem.

When I accelerate I can hear a whistling/wheezing noise.

It doesn't happen when:

- The car is stationary and the engine is idling.

- The car is in neutral

- The car is moving at a constant speed

- The car is decelerating

- The clutch pedal is depressed

The whistling/wheezing occurs only when the accelerator is depressed, ie the car is moving, gears are engaged, and increasing speed.

The car is a 1994 Ford Escort 1.6 LX fuel injection with Zetec

Any ideas?

ta

Michael

Reply to
michael

A hole/split in a rubber hose in the intake system ?

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Stuart

Is that easy to diagnose?

Obviously as it only happens when I accelerate I'm restricted to testing when stationary.

Reply to
michael

Yes - I'd got to the same answer before I'd finished your post and read Stuarts. The engine is old enough for a rubber hose to have perished or cracked making this noise.

Stuff a rag into the air intake and listen. The restriction there will encourage the leak to develop. DONT rev the engine or the rag will get sucked into the intake hose and might not make it as far as the air filter before jamming.

Reply to
Chris Street

Thanks - I'll try that tomorrow (today?!) and report back.....

Reply to
michael

Stuart Gray writes

Brings back memories from the 60s of a co-worker's old Ford Anglia with windscreen wipers driven by a suction pipe from the air intake. The engine kept cutting out on tick-over, and a lunchtime group from the office diagnosed a perished wiper hose.

Reply to
Gordon

is it the radio?

Reply to