Escort cutting out erratically

Hi, I've got a 1994 Escort lx 1.4 and a couple of times recently the engine has cut out when it has been idling. These 2 occasions were just short journeys of a few miles and after intially cutting out it continued to do so until I got home. I have to keep the car moving or the accelerator slightly revved to keep the engine going if the car is not on the move. Both times the car performed faultlessly(or as it can do for an 11 year old car) the next time I took it out for a drive(a day or two later). I could see the rev counter acting erratically before cut out and I suspect something is up with the choke. Are there any simple tests I could do to identify the cause of this problem?

Reply to
Rob Beattie

The message from rob@/remove/ghosh.co.uk (Rob Beattie) contains these words:

94 Escort doesn't have a choke.
Reply to
Guy King

Does it have an ICV?, in which case that's the bugger that's upset the two cars that I've had problems with erratic idling

Reply to
Mike Dodd

The message from "Mike Dodd" contains these words:

I believe so. As you say - it's the likely cause.

Reply to
Guy King

If this is a PTE engine, and being a 94 it probably just is, then suspect the ISCV valve.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.