Window demisting / defrosting wonder gadget!

From a cold start?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

With the Focus I had with QuickClear, I could start it, press the button, get out and spray de-icer on the side windows, get back in and with a flick of the wipers, drive off.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I agree, the Ford system is very effective.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

DEMISTER-DEFROSTER-HEATING-AND-COOLING-/260895110588?> pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cbe8f75bc#ht_2541wt_1185> >

My cigerette sockets or as the label them now accessory sockets are rated at 180 watts.

These small vehicle heaters do work (in a fashion) but will kill your battery very quickly.

Reply to
steve robinson
[...]

All the ones I've seen are rated at 10A, and are protected by a 10A fuse. I doubt that many of them would carry 10A for any significant amount of time however...

An extra 12ish Amps on the system (with the engine running of course) would have no effect on virtually any modern vehicle. Even with the engine off, a couple of hours shouldn't be a problem.

Lots of cars have the accessory socket fed via the battery saver relay, so are idiot proof.

Chris

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

5kW out for 45W in. That's a good trick!
Reply to
David Bowman

45 watts of electricity, that runs the fuel pump, combustion air pump and water pump, can you figure the rest out yet??
Reply to
Gazz

No, 45w of electricary in to run the motors and control, the heat is from the combustion of the diesel fuel :oÞ

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've tried pulling that much through the inverter without any issues.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes.

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

If I remember correctly, they introduced their Throughflow ventilation system in the Mk1 Cortina, I had two, the first of which (1200cc) had the dreaded 3 bearing crankshaft.

Reply to
Gordon H

It happens that Gordon H formulated :

I have that system on mine and yes, it is very effective, but it only works against misting above freezing - not use at all when the screen is frozen and the engine cold. All it does is pass the air for the screen through the a/c matrix, chilling the air which dumps the moisture out on the a/c matrix before it goes onto the screen. On route it passes through the heater matrix, but it will impart no warmth into the air if it is cold.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've been doing this for 15 years. I have a "caravan" type outside socket on my garden shed connected to, as you say, a timer. I comes on half an hour before I set off and the car is defrosted and warm right from the get go. The only problem I've ever had is it sometimes sets off the alarm.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

True, it takes a few minutes to clear from a frozen screen, and I usually use the heated windscreen to help it along.

I tend to forget that not everyone keeps their car garaged, so I rarely get it frozen. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Given that a reasonably standard car heater is in the region of 6kw (6000watts ) 150w is going to do less than f**k all.

Reply to
Tim..

I had a 24V one for the truck and its useless.

McK

Reply to
McKevvy

ISTER-DEFROSTER-HEATING-AND-COOLING-/260895110588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_

Blow the dust off, it is something left over from the sixties. Rog

Reply to
Rog