1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

Picking on me for a typo, and that after I got sulcata correct. That just isn't right.

Here is a picture of my "tortoise" from about a year ago.

She is growing at an alarming rate, from 2 3/4 pounds this time last year to almost 6 pounds today.

They don't live as long as the Galapagos tortoise, but they can still go past 100 years. This one is about 3, so she should have a while left.

I have heard that there is still a living Galapagos tortoise that Darwin brought back on the Beagle, but I have never verified this. If true, the animal is at least 175 years old.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Well, you can tell I am bored today.

Harriet was the tortoise and she died less than 3 months ago in Australia. There is dispute over whether she was actually brought back on the Beagle by Darwin, but her age was estimated at 175 years. There was a male Galapagos tortoise that lived to a verified 188 years that died in 1965. (born in 1777)

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:r_HNg.67$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

I notice you didn't attempt the full name, Geochelone sulcata!

We have a Galapagos that's over 100, he's pretty big. When the Tortoises had their annual physicals we had to use the elephant's scale to weigh them which pissed off the elephants a whole bunch, they don't like to share. It took six or more people to partially lift the bigger ones onto the scale....

Did you know when Galapagos tortoises mate the male bellows and grunts and roars? Scares the HELL out of visitors!

Reply to
XS11E

THANK YOU LANNY! Damn, one (probably incorrect) response and it was off to the OFF TOPIC FRENZY! What were you people thinking! Kids!

The guy even said thanks for the great help! ........inseams my arse!

aaahhhh, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

If only that were true. I still act like a kid, but the body gets harder to fool every day.

To get back on topic about miatas with shimmy problems, did you hear that Britney Spears gave birth to her second child? ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

to bring this back on topic... are you guys saying that an adult galapagos tortoise could not drive a miata because they are just too big?

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Hmph. That's not on-topic.

But male tortoises are very sensitive to alignment. If it's not right, they bellow and grunt and roar. If it is right, they shimmy.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"Chris D'Agnolo" wrote in news:f350f$4507671c$97d5bbd7$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Inseams are on topic as are tortoises. Now stop top posting and stop talking about Miatas!

NOTE: Arses are on topic.

Reply to
XS11E

They do get too big, but that is not the point. A tortoise is very smart for a reptile, and they already move slowly enough when walking. Driving the underpowered miata and slowing down even more just would not make any sense and they realize this.

That is why they have been here for 180 million years while we aren't going to make it to even close to one million years. They keep things simple, we complicate and screw things up. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Actually, inseam lengths can be an on-topic issue in a vehicle the size of a miata, they just don't have anything to do with wheel shimmy.

I wasn't making that up about my tall friend, there is no seat adjustment, removing of foam, or any other thing you could do to make the miata comfortable for him to drive. This is simply because his legs are too long for a car this size. Call it inseam length or leg length, but if your inseam is 32", 34", or

40+ inches, this is going to make a difference in how the car fits you.

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:s2MNg.121$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Nonsense, anyone with a chainsaw can fix leg length.

Reply to
XS11E

Yes, that's true. But it does leaves nasty stains on the carpet and seats. Although I imagine with the correct upholstery and carpet color, they wouldn't be as noticeable.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

The '93 LE might be a good choice.

NOW we are back on topic. Thanks Iva. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:PFUNg.474$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Wanna start a pool as to how long we stay on topic?

Reply to
XS11E

Don't know about the LE - isn't it difficult to get blood stains out of leather? And yes, the blood will match while it's fresh but I'm concerned that it will be too dark after drying to continue to match.

(Topic? What topic?)

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Do these tortoises come in white?

Reply to
Remove This

Britney has a Miata? Is that what the kid was caught driving awhile ago?

Reply to
Remove This

"Remove This" wrote in news:WKVNg.1440$XR3.410@trndny02:

Yes but nobody can catch them because they're so fast.

Reply to
XS11E

I'd have thought they'd be fairly easy to catch, since the viscosity is likely pretty high...

Reply to
Don Bruder

pws wrote in news:icDNg.22460$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Another important factor is how close you prefer to be to the steering wheel & pedals. I'm 6'2" w/ a 32-34" inseam and I feel like my 94 was custom-made for me. I don't even have the seat all the way back. If I put my hands at 10&2, I have probably about a 50 deg bend at the elbows. My knees also stay "comfortably" bent. This is the most comfortable to me, tho most people, it seems, would considder this cramped.

I will concur w/ XS11E tho, the newer models don't fit so well. A friend of mine has an 06, and if I adjust his seat to how I have mine, my right knee presses up against the dash and my head hits a crossbar in the top. Moving the seat a notch back and leaning it a notch back gets around this, but I don't know if I'd every be as comfortable in a new one as I am in mine.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes