1994 Mazda 626 4cyl Thermostat and Draincock

Hi Guys

Im trying to replace my thermostat and I have absolutely no idea where it is located on my vehicle. I also need to know where the draincock is, I looked underneath the rad but found nothing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Danish

Reply to
Danish

The Haynes manual for the 626/MX6 (4cyl) shows a picture (pg 1-25) of the radiator drain plug as being at the bottom corner (can't tell whether it's left or right corner) of the rad, accessible thru a square opening in the plastic shrowd covering the bottom of the rad. The description (pg 1-24) then goes on to say that if your radiator is not equipped with a drain plug, then loosen the clamp at the lower rad hose and loosen the hose to allow the coolant to drain. This may require removal of the entire plastic shrowd.

The thermostat housing is pictured (pg 3-4) as being just to the right of the A/C compressor... follow the top rad hose from the left top of the rad to this location. The housing is attached by 2 bolts, top and bottom.

good luck.

Pete

Reply to
Simply Pete

Start at the radiator - Trace the top radiator hose back to the block. The thermostat hides inside the bolted-on fitting that the hose is attached to. Should be a two (some years 3) bolt job, with no need to remove the hose from its fitting. Just unbolt, then pull the fitting off the block, hose and all. Make sure the bypass widget in the thermostat points up if the '94 doesn't have the "keyed" style thermostat that can only go in one way. Also be sure that you put the "spring" side of the thermostat toward the block. Put it in the other way, and it's likely that the engine will overheat before the t'stat opens, or the t'stat may never open, since all the hot water is on the other side of the valve - the spring/pellet that does the "magic" needs to be where the hot water will be so that it can tell what the temperature is. A bit of blue RTV on the mating surfaces of the fitting, and you're ready to bolt things back together.

If Mazda held to their usual "find something that works, then don't change it" philosophy for the '94, you should find the draincock on the bottom driver's side corner of the radiator, on the engine side. Look for a whitish "extra-jumbo-size wingnut" looking thing. If they've fiddled with things, look on the bottom corner that the lower radiator hose DOESN'T go to. You may need to pull either the fan shroud or the bottom splash-cover to get to it once you find it - Some years had a cutout for access, others didn't.

Or, you can go the "lazy" route: Pull the lower radiator hose off and let the beast drain that way. Same result, just a differnet road to get there...

Reply to
Don Bruder