1999 Miata

Hello friends at rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,

I'm thinking about buying a 99 Miata. I read on consumerguide.com that the bearing caps on the 99's were not machined properly causing engine noise (rattling) which requires a new block in order to be fixed. I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with this. Is there any thing else I should know about the 99's?

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

Mine's an early '99 with over 90K and I haven't noticed anything like what you describe. Minor paint issues on the hood. Occasional rain leakage over my left shoulder.

Always a kick. And amazing in snow with the Blizzaks.

Some (many) here will automatically disparage "99's and later (insecurity, stupidity, immaturity, who knows why?). Too bad. Great car if you can handle not having the latest, most expensive ride...or needing to impress early model owners.

Best of luck,

Gary Fuchs

Craig wrote:

Reply to
Gary Fuchs

99's have less legroom for the driver, are more expensive, and not nearly as much fun to own, work on, or drive as the NA's (the pre-99's) are. Save your money and find a nice NA you can upgrade with the leftover funds instead. You'll be much happier.

Yes, I've owned both, and I currently drive (and regret buying) a '99 instead of a '91 like I had originally owned.

Regards, H.

Reply to
HardwareLust

Thanks for the replies. I would have figured that the 2nd gen Miatas would be better except for maybe the fun to work on part. I like the 2nd gen body style better and they don't have pop-up headlights (is there a 1st gen headlight conversion kit?) The 2nd gens engine puts out more horsepower. I forgot to ask if Miatas in general are costly to insure.

Reply to
Craig

Yes there was a problem with a SMALL percentage of 99s. The link will tell you what there is to know. Please note that if the crankshaft endplay checks out OK there is no problem and the engine is just as reliable as any other.

Reply to
Natman

I own a '99 (bought new) and am totally happy with it. The leg and head room issue (due to "fatter" seats) is true, but only you can decide if it changes your comfort.

The '99 is a bit heavier and more powerful than the earlier 1800cc cars (94-97), a little more rigid, and some say a little less agile (although the tire choice and alignment have a huge impact on handling and feel)

There is a bit more trunk space (relocated spare and exhaust)

I happen to agree with you on the front-end styling, and the fixed lights do eliminate some mechanical bits. I know of no general reliabilty issues with either car; there were a few bad motors installed which will fail, but the serial numbers affected are well known and there's lots of info on the internet (try

for a start).

When I switched from a 1995 VW GTI to a Miata in 1999, my insurance premium dropped.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase

Reply to
jimuntch

I like the pop-up headlights because I have never seen a car with the headlights exposed that looked as smooth and finished as a M1 miata, imho, when the headlights are down. The Acura NSX is another example of the aesthetics of having no headlight glass exposed on the exterior.

Does anyone have numbers on the trunk cubic foot capacity for both models? The trunk space in my car is incredibly small, but I leave the spare out for any trips under a hundred miles or so. Takig the spare out made a huge difference in how many groceries I can carry.

I completely agree that the plastic rear window sucks. Luckily, this can be fixed by putting an M2 top or other aftermarket glass top on the car, though it can also be quite expensive.

The main thing that I have envied in the M2 over the M1 was the steering wheel. Until recently, M1 owners have had the option as an ugly-as-hell airbag-equipped steering wheel or swapping it for a momo-style wheel and losing the airbag. There is now a very nice looking airbag-equipped steering wheel for the M1, I hope to see installed pics and a review by Leon before too long.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

I believe (don't quote me!) that they are 4 and 5 cu ft for original (NA) and current (NB) respectively.

There are certainly advocates of the NA, NB, and '01+ NB. I have the latter. One rather popular saying is that the NB is a better car, but the NA is a better Miata. NA owners say there's is more light and raw. NB's have slower steering (I'm pretty sure) weigh a bit more (and are getting heavier every year). Personally, I far prefer the glass backlight, the open headlights, the steering wheel, having a bit more engine (perhaps offset by weight), and the added stiffness (esp in the '01+). I also prefer the far more integrated look of the fogs in the '01+, though I don't like the look or feel of the bannana seats (which are supposed to be better than the '99-'00?). The biggest beef I have with the '01+ is the need for premium with virtually no performance gain.

Reply to
Dave

Still waiting for the replacement adapter to arrive. :(

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen