Losing power... AGAIN.. HELP!

Ok, I'm losing power AGAIN. Seems almost intermittent. I just put on my

31's back on yesterday and thought the switch might have been the problem. But even since I've put them on the problem has gotten worse. I'd compare it to what happened before I got the cat replaced. Not as severe, but I'm having trouble accelerating of holding speed on hills (don't think it's the tire change -- I ran those tires for over a year without this problem) Any thoughts? Would a bad muffler be the culprit? Could the crud from the bad cat have plugged it up somehow? How about the O2 sensor? The only problems I've had recently were the cat, which was HOSED. They replaced everything between the manifold and the muffler with new stock parts. Could the new cat be bad? I'm not hearing any rattling, but the loss of power is there. Also, no dummy lights are popping up. I cleaned the air filter today and checked the spark plugs (champion truck plugs which are only 2000 miles old) and they're wearing nicely.

Facts to consider:

99 TJ SE (2.5L, 5 spd) 44k miles AirAid Intake 4.0L Throttle Body 31X10.50R15 A/Ts Cat replaced last week Muffler probably junk Noisy when idling in nuetral with clutch pedal out (think throw-out bearing... maybe.. don't know much about clutches)

Thanks guys. I was going to order a Dynomax Cat-back system tomorrow, but am going to wait and see what this problem is first in case it's going to cost big $$ to fix.

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

The only thing that comes to mind that you haven't mentioned is the ECU. I had a couple that would start and run fine until thye warmed up then seem to really bog down under load or high RPM. That wasn't a Jeep, but it sounds similar. Do the problems seem to appear after it warms up a little?

If the CAT came apart, the only place for the crap to go is into the muffler, BTW. Anytime I saw a busted (rattling) CAT I always looked real hard at the muffler and generally changed it while I was at it just for that reason. If you can get a shop to measure your exhaust back pressure you'll be able to tell. Mufflers are pretty cheap...

Reply to
Will Honea

Haven't had any codes from the ECU, and haven't checked it either. SUPPOSEDLY the dealer was supposed to run a full test to make sure the ONLY problem was the cat. They wanted to replace the muffler, but that was due to the deteriorating (sp?) heat shield, which I've since ripped off.

Sounds like I may want to just replace that muffler anyway. Couldn't find anyone in town with a cat-back system in stock on Friday so I had to put the stock one back in... we'll see what happens this week.

Thanks for the info. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Nope, this is different. I've ran these tires before (for an entire year -- just changed them out with a smaller set for a few long road trips I had to take). Seems like a loss-of-power issue and is somewhat sporratic..

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Just for fun, have the muffler shop check the cat. If you have a bad O2 sensor, mixture will be off and cat will overheat and melt. Mine looked like someone ran a welding torch inside it, nothing but melted slag. And sensor never threw a code, bad thing is there is no good way to test them, my truck at the time, a V6 GMC, had four of them, at $75.00 each Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

I replaced my CAT on my 93 YJ 2.5 last year due to a loss of power issue. The CAT had completely blown apart inside. I replaced everything from the CAT back. I too am noticing a power loss this spring, but it seems to be more related to the heavy headwinds we have had lately. When the CAT was causing problems, when I accelerated, it sounded like my exhaust was being blown thru a soda straw! I could barely accelerate to get onto an interstate. However, what I am noticing lately is just a loss of power at highway speeds and hills, but acceleration seems normal. There is no missing or hesitation and all gauges look fine. But I only notice it in a headwind. Yesterday, I turned around 180 degrees and the car ran fine with the wind at my back. BTW, I run stock size tires.

Dana Rohleder Port Kent, NY

"I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein." George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 25, 2004

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

I ordered a new cat-back system yesterday and will have it in by this weekend. Hopefully that'll fix the problem. If not, I'll take it back to a shop to have them check it out. Initially the dealer said I needed a new O2 sensor, but that was becuase they thought the threads were seized. They got it out, but maybe they damaged it in the process...

Eric

Reply to
Eric