I rarely buy cars

I have a 1990 Honda that for the past year has started giving me all kinds of mechancial issues. From the small, like a dead power antenna, to a master cylinder, a $300 cooling fan, dead A/C, ABS pressurization problems, and now possibly timing belt tensioner issues. I bought this new, which is why I say I rarely buy cars (only the second car I've owned in 30 years, though I also own a truck).

What does this have to do with this board? Do I want to keep the Honda and add more money into it? Good questions; I've been toying with the thought of a low mileage Miata. I've never driven one, though would love to find a place that rents them (in the San Francisco area). It would be more interesting than a vulture/dealer salesman along for the ride.

So I've started searching info. I see people favoring NA over NB, though my first inclination is a recent model. I have over 140k miles on the Honda, why get into another high mileage car? Any words of wisdom/encouragement over the 2001-2003 models? It may be a few months before I could seriously make the plunge, but it gives me a lot of time to research. The Honda dealer hated me back when I bought that because I fought a well deserved price for new after careful research, though today's prices make a $23K- $28K car too rich for my meager blood.

What's the word, sports enthusiasts? Is it a car worth seeking out? Of course on this board what answer would I expect? *:)

TIA

Reply to
Rivergoat

The NA vs NB issue could probably be argued till the cows come in, go do some test drives of used miatas and test drive a new one. Old miatas are generally as bullet-proof a car as you can buy. Unlike my '96 V6 Accord (130k), my Miata (130k) has not needed the alternator replaced, nor the coil / distributer (2 times). Of course, the soft tops only last 3 to 7 or 10 years depending mostly on how much abuse / weather they endure.

Great info @ miata.net, dig and dig there, read FAQ's (there's a section on 'what to look for in a used miata'. I seriously doubt you'll regret ownership. Theory is light weight / nimbleness (less weight is equal to more horsepower with increased agility) not 'overcoming physics with horsepower'.

Let us know what you do, Chris

92 BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Hi Rivergoat, I must reply to your query- I cannot be still. When I saw my first Miata, I simply saw a very cute and neat little car that I assumed would leave me stranded by the freeway at will as the sportscars I had owned in the past had. Then I decided to do some investigating after a friend bought one and loved it. I went to Consumer's Reports online, paid $4.95 to read what rating they were given and what problems to expect if I were to own one- do this- you'll be surprised and impressed. THEN, I did a search on the particular used Miata I had tentatively decided to purchese to learn if it had any accident history the owner wasn't "owning up" to(carfax.com, $19.95), and learned my baby had been shuffled-though not much-and had no undisclosed history. So I bought it and I love it. Being a mechanical being, I know it will have to be repaired here and there along the way, though not very much according to the Consumer's Guide, but I am so glad that I bought it! Mine is a used vehicle, a '93, actually, but drives like new. Miatas are classified as "Roadsters" instead of "sports cars", so the insurance on them is less than that of a sports car- have I omitted anything of importance? Test drive one! You'll love it! I sincerely doubt you'll ever be sorry. I know you want a new one-I'm headed to a dealership for a new one if this ever dies on me- and know little about the new breed as yet, but I'm sure the new and recent edition Miata owners here will fill in those cracks for you. Just had to give you my "testimonial"on what a pleasant surprise Miata ownership has been for me. Good luck, though I doubt you'll need it! Candy'93red P.S. I also did a Better Business Bureau search on the dealership I purchased from (www.your city. bbb.org) to ascertain if they were in good standing.

"Rivergoat" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Candy

Hey Candy:

Thanks for the tips. Because of such high costs, in many respects I don't want a new one, but one maybe only 2 years old. Yes, I've started studying Consumer Reports and various other areas of research. I also took the advice and spent time today on miata.net reading about things to look for. Much of it common sense when looking at "pre-owned" but well worth repeating.

Years ago a friend had an MG (we decided that MG stood for "might go" as that car spent more time in the shop than on the road, but that's typical of many MGs; and I once read an article that said the British Triumph was the best reason to take up walking!!!). Anyway, point is I had a chance to drive the MG a little. We took it up around Bodega Bay (I live around the San Francisco area) and I must say I had a blast with it. The Miata is for all intent and purpose much like the MG I would imagine, that is as far as a roadster is concerned. It's just a LOT more reliable.

When I'm truly ready I'll look at cars in person; I have checked on line sales, however. I even saw one in my area that would basically be the perfect one I'd look for, though I just can't commit to it just yet, there are work issues that need resolving as our company is fighting for some well deserved rights. But that's blah blah woof woof; there will always be cars around. I hope to make a dealership truly sweat, not me. I would plan to do as recommended and crawl all over and under one (or more). Drive a new one? Yeah, maybe, but until I win the lottery I'd rather get one for $10,000 less! Good tip about driving with the windows and top up, however; I'm gathering they are a bit noisy and it's best to hear it run in as quiet an environment as possible.

Lastly...what about gas? Do they really take the highest octane (91 around here) or does 89 do a good enough job, let alone running 87? I prefer 89 now depending on prices. Also, you did bring up insurance. How does a Miata compare with a standard coupe? Obviously my own insurance and my own record will ultimately determine, and I would call them when ready.

If my Honda just gets to be too much, I'm still confident I could find a new home for it quickly as it's a rather rare model. I could easily drop $3k-$5K in it without blinking, but I may be blinking. We'll see; thanks, I'll keep reading the boards and studying up. I'll post when I've actually started test driving one, too!

Reply to
Rivergoat

Hi! You sound much like I did before I purchased my Miata- reeeeaaaalll iffy! Then a car accident that totalled my previous vehicle decided it all for me and launched me into this love affair with my new (old) car! I used to be a car salesman back when, so I hear you when you voice trepidation about driving one at a dealership, but I'll tell you this- car salespeople will respect your need to shop and think as long as you are up front and tell them you are still in that stage. They will call and ask later on if you had decided or whatever- as any good salesperson will do- but know they are just people like you and me. I felt so sorry for the salesman I bought my Miata from, as I "took no prisoners" when it came to the don't-bug-me-and-let-me-decide-edness I unnecessarily harped at him from my first phone inquiry to finalizing the paperwork. "Miatas sell themselves," he said. "I don't HAVE to push a sale on these cars." And they can be helpful- they'll call you when they get a car in that you might be interested in. So don't be afraid of the salepeople- just remember they work for YOU, not the other way around. They don't really see a DumDum sucker when they look at you, as the cartoons of old depicted! Especially if you're educated on the vehicle and sure of what you want. Were I still a carsalesman, I'd admire the fact you knew what you wanted and weren't going to be "sold" by anything other than the car itself. Practicing "Buyer Beware" and following through with those vehicle checks (a lot of dealers will provide a carfax report for you at no charge) will assure you won't get a car you don't want. As for gasoline, I always put mid grade (89) in my Miata, and treat "her" occaisionally to a tank of high test for no other reason than I just love this car, for it runs beautifully on mid grade. My friend purchased a '97 because he liked the pop up headlights and that was the last year they had them, and he just loves the car. His wife totalled his previous car (a 90 Miata), so he found another for himself.

On your insurance query, I pay the same premium on this car as I did on my previous, same year car (which was a minivan of all things!). It does depend on your driving history. I hope others here will pipe up on their own insurance costs and knowledge for you, because I'm not educated in it enough to even guess. I do know your insurance company will welcome the opportunity to quote for you what you could expect to pay based on your existing history with them. You have but to call, give them the make, model, year, safety devices and price range of your desired vehicle, and they can have it for you in a flash- people do it all the time, and it's a part of their job. I did this before my purchase- I don't like surprises when it comes to things like that! Trust me- they won't mind doing that for you at all.

I have owned a TR, an MG, and a Fiat Spider. DON'T buy any of those! Your friend's experience was typical of any of those cars! But they ARE such fun! (But Miatas are "funner"!!!)

I hope to read you have bought and love your Miata sometime soon- life's just too short to waste time driving anything less!! Keep us posted on your progress. Candy93red

"Rivergoat" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Candy

A friend tells me he would rent them at A-I Rental in the city and at the airport. Hopefully, they still do that business.

Reply to
L. Santer

First, there are no "bad" Miatas - NA, NB, Special Edition, Supercharged, whatever. Desireability is purely in the eye of the beholder with the possible exception of the some of the rarer modls (sunburst, BRG, R). No one on this board is going to live long enough to see this car become a valuable classic (it's already achieved the classic status, just not the value part) because there are so many of them and they apparently are determined to run pretty much forever so no natural attrition. I'm a big guy (6'2" 200lbs) and do fit better in the original body style and I personally like the barn door headlights because they make the car distinctive.

Having said all that, people who try and substitute a Miata for a family car (accord/civic) are often disappointed because of the inability to actually carry a family. I couldn't live with the Miata as my only car but will never live without one as one of my cars. As a matter of fact, I'm looking to buy a nice low mileage 95M that I'll store until my 92 finally dies. I'm afraid they are going to destroy the car with the next iteration because it looks like its going to gain weight and cost.

Drive a couple of private sale cars, NA & NB and see what you think. Another couple months and the price will come down some because of aproaching winter.

Tom

92 Red

Rivergoat wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Tom... A gal in our local club (San Antonio) is looking to sell her VERY nice 95M. If you are interested just reply privately and I can send you her email address and a description of the car. dave replace the obvious in my address with dwhansen

Reply to
Dave Hansen

You didn't mention where you live. I live 90 minutes from Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA. I have a 2000 miata and an '88 Chevy short bed. I don't baby my cars; cars are tools, not art. I do take care of my tools though. I change the oil and rotate the tire every 5000 miles. I waxed the Miata for only the second time this year. The paint is starting the show that I don't wax it enough. The front of the car sits so low (and there roads here are dirty) that there are a significant number of scratches and dings on the front bumper and hood. The hood is aluminum so there is no rust though.

In 4 years I've put 70,000 miles on the Miata. The only maintenance has been oil, plugs and wires, tires, and as I type this brakes. My gas milage is just under 30 mpg, less on windy roads.

I use the truck when conditions indicate that someone else would easily slide into me. (During a 90 minute commute twice a week there are plenty of chances for that.) The original Michelin pilots were awful on snow. The new Firestones are much better on snow and wet, but lousy on dry (soft sidewalls).

I've have put more in maintenance on the truck since 2000 than the car, but I only put about 5000 miles on the truck each year.

Joe

Reply to
Joe