Big Miata problem- what would you do ?

Short background:

2000 Miata purchased in March 2003 with 27M miles. Now has 44M up to now completely trouble free miles. Was a certified used car purchased from a large Houston dealer.

Wife took car on trip two wks ago. Died and would not restart. Had towed to nearest dealer, Moffitt Motors in Shreveport, LA. Initial diagnosis: Bad fuel pump relay Still wouldn't start New diagnosis: bad computer- Ka-ching! $1300.00, but not to worry, covered under the certified warranty Still wouldn't start. Maybe not computer after all New diagnosis: Fuse block partially melted with damage to wiring. Ordered fuse block. Still covered. Latest update: Needs wiring harness. Ka Ching! $2,400.00. plus labor, hours not even found in flat rate book. Dealer has never done one of those. Not covered under extended warranty because after market alarm system, (which was on car when purchased) was, according to the Moffitt motors technician, spliced into every wire under the dash, so an altered wiring harness is not covered. Computer could might still be bad, another now non- covered $1,300.00 So...I could be looking at a $5,000.00 repair bill for a car that's probably worth $9,000 tops. My plan for now- Talk to selling dealer tomorrow. Find out if they installed the alarm system. Rent trailer and tow car to selling dealer for a second opinion.

So...what would you do? Any advice would be appreciated, including best (cheapest) way to transport a non- running Miata a distance of 200 miles.

P.S. The sad part? I just spent $1,000.00 putting on new Heliums and T-1 S's less than a week before this happened.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Clark Smith

Reply to
Clark Smith

Yeah, you need to get a trailer and get the car out of there!

sounds to me like they are milking the warranty for $$$.. No competent dealer woud buy and swap a computer without checking it out first!

And, how could they miss a fuse block melted so bad, during their initial diagnosis ?

Unless the wiring harness is totally melted, like from a fire or something, it *should* be able to be repaired. (if it is even bad).

Sounds like a problem that may even just BE the aftermarket alarm system gone bad, and preventing it from starting.. Who knows ?

Anyway, If it were me, I'd definately take it back to the dealer that sold it and deal with THEM.

As far as towing it goes, probably just go to U-Haul and get a car transport trailer. You probably *could* just get a dolly, but I'd feel safer on a flatbed.

good luck with it, and be sure to report your outcome!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

I would call the selling dealer, explain that THEIR alarm system had damaged your car, and let them know where to fetch the car (at their expense, of course) for repair.

Personally, I would never buy a car with an aftermarket alarm installed. This sort of thing happens all too often.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers