GPS for Miata ?

Has anyone added a GPS Navigation device to a Miata? If it matters, I am referring to a 2003 single CD player/radio.

Reply to
Free

Not me. I am just curious about the relationship between a GPS and a 2003 single CD player/radio??

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

That system is NOT a GPS Navigation system !

It is a satellite broadcast system. Nothing to do with the 27 GPS satellites that are up in space.

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Yep. I've got a Garmin Street Pilot III sitting on the dash with the beanbag mount and the power cord plugged into the cigarette lighter on my 1995. I also have the single CD/cass/radio, but that has nothing to do with my GPS.

Works great.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Doernhoefer

I have used a Garmin GPS III for several years on my longer trips, and I cannot say anything bad about it. I stick it on a piece of velcro on my dash. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries in it. If I want to go into gas stations, I stick it into my pocket. It has a cylindrical shape with a triangular cross-section that makes this easy. It was not that expensive anyway, even if I would forget.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

A cylinder does not have to be a circular cylinder.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

cyl·in·der (s¹l??n-d?r) n. Abbr. cyl. 1. Mathematics. a. The surface generated by a straight line intersecting and moving along a closed plane curve, the directrix, while remaining parallel to a fixed straight line that is not on or parallel to the plane of the directrix. b. The portion of such a surface bounded by two parallel planes and the regions of the planes bounded by the surface. c. A solid bounded by two parallel planes and such a surface, especially such a surface having a circle as its directrix. 2. A cylindrical container or object.

  1. Engineering. a. The chamber in which a piston of a reciprocating engine moves. b. The chamber of a pump from which fluid is expelled by a piston. 4. The rotating chamber of a revolver that holds the cartridges. 5. Any of several rotating parts in a printing press, especially one that carries the paper. 6. Archaeology. A cylindrical stone or clay object with an engraved design or inscription.

In this case, the directrix is a triangle, not a circle.

From

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Don't go there with Leon. Here is what it looks like.

Mike

Yup, but it's not "installed" in the Rollerskate permanently.

It's a Garmin 76S handheld, with uploadable local maps for whatever region. The power/data cable's wired into the battery and floats around the cockpit. The antenna's a mag-mount, on the driver's side rear rump of the Rollerskate cuz the HF antenna's on the passenger side Frankenstein bolt, and the GPS doesn't like having RF at 100W poured into it. Normally we use it handheld but for the long cross-continental trips, the data goes into the RS232 plug on a Dell laptop running Streets & Trips 2002. This gives us a moving map display with our present position loud and clear, and all the surroundings illustrated.

As for installed stuff on the console, see

for an installation of a YaesuFT-100D removable display on the console stack. We ditched the cassetteplayer and moved the stack down to accomodate the FT-100D.

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR5 maps

Reply to
Nora

Ugghh, I stuck my foot in my mouth again; I guess I should be well used to the taste by now. You are correct; my Webster's dictionary does not get as technical as your American Heritage dictionary but essentially concurs on the facts.

I find it interesting that a quick review of mechanical engineering design and drawing textbooks at hand (by no means exhaustive) reveals that all references to, and formulae for, cylinders assume right circular cylinders without ever stating the assumption or revealing the possibility that it might be otherwise.

John ('94 Miata)

jsgmcclary at cox dot net

Reply to
John