XJS Drain holes

I have a small problem....I understand there are drain holes in an XJS (and XJ I believe) for draining water which goes down into the heater/blower vents in front of the windscreen - I have read in a previous post that on the XJ these are at the "back of the front wheel arches" - and that these get blocked very easily.

I think mine are blocked as I get some damp in the car and after a lot of rain my blowers stop working - after a dry spell they are fine again, also there is some small historic signs of rust on the speedometer and rev counter.

I just cant find these pipes though - one person said "they6 are hidden under the car but are very small" which is not a great help if somone can tell me where these are on a 88 XJ-S (3.6) then I would be eternally grateful - any suggestions on what to use to clear them as well would be well received).

Many thanks.

Reply to
v56k

My recollection is that you can see formed rubber "tubes" (shaped, not just a simple hose), about an inch-plus in diameter, that angle downward from near the top of the firewall to the back of the front wheel arch on each side of the engine compartment... remove them and make sure they are clear of debris (decayed leaves, etc), and make sure the nipples they attach to are also clear. Afterward, you could use a water hose to try to partially fill the cavity below the vents in front of the windshield... it should readily drain out of the well through drain holes on each end that lead into those rubber tubes and I suspect you could hear it flowing out (may be hard to see the water level with the grill in place); if the tubes are blocked, water will fill the cavity, submerging the wiper motor that resides in that cavity, and water will run into the air vents.

Reply to
WayneC

Many thanks Wayne I'll have a look this weekend.

Reply to
v56k

On my '94 XJ6, I found a pair of drain hoses in the front door hinge area. They are only a couple of inches long and they empty onto a rubber flap which routes the water away from the hinge itself, and directs it to pour down the open area around the hinges.

I couldn't find anything under the wiper motor.

Reply to
pdb

I think the ones mentioned under the car are the drain hoses for the air-con unit. They can also cause a problem but usually when it is hot and humid and a lot of water has condensed inside the unit. They pop out under the car either side of the front of the gearbox.

It is a long time since I have owned an XJ-S but I think on my V12's the whole wiper assembly and grille came off revealing the drain area.

Regards

Richard '98 XJR

Reply to
Richard

Richard is correct on the air-con drains - The big hint there is that the leak coming out of the lower vents happens when the A/C has been running a while, regardless of how long it's been since it rained. It's caused by the dash ductwork insulation drying out and falling into the drain tray clogging the outlets.

The '"Rain drains" are boots on either side of the 'wiper well' on the fire wall. The boots feed into metal tubes (about an inch in diameter and just short of a foot long) They run forward to boots over top of the wheel well. The drain blockage occurs because the boots cause several twists & turns (Plus the drop along the pipe length is fairly shallow.) If it's been fairly dusty, the tube clogs with dirt over time. It's fairly easy to pull & rinse out.

It does get confusing when you have both problems at the same time. (86XJS Owner) - Don

Reply to
Yardslave

I think the ones mentioned under the car are the drain hoses for the air-con unit. They can also cause a problem but usually when it is hot and humid and a lot of water has condensed inside the unit. They pop out under the car either side of the front of the gearbox.

It is a long time since I have owned an XJ-S but I think on my V12's the whole wiper assembly and grille came off revealing the drain area.

Regards

Richard '98 XJR I just cant find these pipes though - one person said "they6 are hidden under the car but are very small" which is not a great help if somone can tell me where these are on a 88 XJ-S (3.6) then I would be eternally grateful - any suggestions on what to use to clear them as well would be well received).

Many thanks.

--------------030908000207070209080106--

Reply to
Chris Halpin