Folding hard tops

Following a recent thread I did a couple of tests on my wife's coupé (UK model).

If you put the car in gear the hood stops, beeps and flashes. Same seems to happen in neutral with the car in motion. I expect this could be overcome but I am not about to start messing with complex software.

Looks like it is a definite 12 second stop in neutral if it suddenly starts to rain.

Reply to
The Invisible Man

I suspected that would be the case, otherwise you could be hitting 60 mph with the top just over halfway up or down, which couldn't be good.

So what happens if you hit the button, wait a couple of seconds, and then floor it? Does it stop and hang in that one position catching air, try to go back up, or continue down?

Don't worry, I'm not asking you to experiment with your car, just wondering. It sounds like it is not a problem or we would already be hearing about people breaking them.

Pat

Reply to
pws

It stops where it is as soon as you put the car into gear and beeps and flashes a lot.

Reply to
The Invisible Man

That makes sense, it probably goes into an immediate full-lock.

Still, since it can be done, it seems like someone would have started the lowering process and then taken off despite the beeps and flashes, leaving the top partially down at high speeds.

Either this somehow hasn't been done yet or the design is strong enough to withstand the wind. It seems to me that it would tear off of there or at least get damaged as you hit a high enough speed, maybe not.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Perhaps no one smart enough to buy a Miata is stupid enough to drive it with the roof halfway up.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Perhaps, but the driver is not always the owner, and since I have seen a

1990-2005 hardtop for sale that had damage from coming off of the miata while it was moving, it is hard for me to assume that intelligent actions concerning operation of the top will occur because they chose a miata.

My experience has been that if it can be screwed up, somebody will screw it up eventually, no matter what it is.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I have to agree with Pat here :-) Chris