Replacement mufflers/replacement horns for a Miata 2002 LS

OK, I'm sure replacement mufflers and horns have been the topics of much discussion and debate by the legions of Miata enthusiasts out there so I am attempting to tap some of those great opinions and discussions about which mufflers and horns are considered the "best".

Since I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, I am trying to order the parts and have them sent to my mechanic to install so when I come back on my R&R in June, I can enjoy the changes for when my wife and I can drive the Miata from Nebraska to Pennsylvania. Should be a fun drive, I am really looking forward to it but it would be even better if I can get some things done before I get back.

Let me help qualify what the muffler needs to be: 1) a nice, deep growl, but not something that sounds like some 19 year old wanna-be- street racer. The sound is something that sounds befitting to a small roadster that has a pair! Also, I understand that some performance mufflers tones tend to change a bit when heated up for extended driving hours- I would prefer to steer clear of that- if that is truly an issue.

2) This deep growling muffler also needs to be able to have what most would consider a "near perfect" OEM installation. By this is mean to say, no modifications needed to be made to install. 3) If there are additional parts that are needed but not readily evident by the manufacturer, any insight on those pieces would be great too (seals, extension pipes, hangers etc).

I realize that mufflers are a difficult thing since somebody's "deep growl" is someone else's "obnoxious Fast and Furious look-a-like". But I am willing to take that chance! Plus, I doubt that I will ever change cams, flywheels, or headers. So high-performance and cost aren't essential, the muffler that I am interested in is to really give her some guts, but if performance can be gained as well, then so much the better.

The horn, well, this might seem like a dorky thing to change, but I really dislike the weak little thing that's on there now. I admit that I like the idea of those Italian air horns, more so because I tend to like classy retro things. But, I seem to have read several reviews that suggest those Italian horns are prone to fail in the cold weather. Moreover, the flipside to the classy sound/feel those Italian air horns give a Miata, those same horns may make it appear that the Miata is trying to be something that it's not. Maybe it's me, maybe that's not the impression at all; I've never heard what a MG, Mini, Triumph, old T-Bird or Corvette horn sounds like. Maybe those are big gutsy air horns, but I have heard a Ferrari and that seems like it deserves its Italian job. But if there is an air horn or another horn form a different manufacturer that works very well with little or no modifications I am VERY interested to hear thoughts on it.

I am considering an air filter upgrade and the VDO oil pressure upgrade too, but I am leery of asking my mechanic to do this type of work - especially the VDO oil pressure upgrade- I doubt mechanics are quick to do that type of modification but I maybe wrong since I have never really inquired.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these issues!

Drew K.

Reply to
ajk170

Not sure how "deep" you mean. IMO, you only get "deep" from a V8, so it would sound pretentious coming from a Miata. And to me, there's no sound from a Miata like a Borla exhaust note. Perfect, top up, down, or off. And Borlas are available engineered for direct fit on Miatae.

Here I still like the sound of the "Crazy Red Italian" horns (I believe that's right).

But then I once had an AAH-OOO-GAH horn on a Fiat Dino, so what do I know... 8;)

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

I had a pair of those. They lasted about a year before they failed. I replaced them with another pair of similar (but different brand) air-horns. They lasted about the same amount of time before they failed. I replaced those with Serious Auto's wicked-loud horns. They've been working fine for 6+ years now. The serious auto ones are just standard good-quality dual horns like detroit used for decades (along with some custom brackets and wiring).

Reply to
Grant Edwards

You're probably, right, "deep" may not be the best description- how about "low rumble?"

An AAH-OOO-GAH!? I didn't know those ever really existed except in the movies!

Reply to
ajk170

quoted text -

that's what I was thinking- that those air horns fail. I hate to drop $50 only to drop another a year later.

Drew

Reply to
ajk170

Let me second the Borla vote.

I've had Crazy Reds on Belle for lots of years now without any problems.

Heh - there was one of those on the 1959 Saab 93 I learned to drive on. ;-)

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Mine were still working after smashing a deer at 60 - 65 mph, they just weren't "Wicked Loud" anymore. I think that the shattered remains were still louder than the stock horn.

Very highly recommended.

You can go with less money spent, but I like the whole package and consider it worth the money for the simplicity of installation. If it involves electrical wires and I find it easy to put on, then anyone can install them.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
M. Cantera

The problem have noticed with a lot of aftermarket horns is that they have a noticable delay. A friend had some driven by an electric motor/compressor, they were silent for about half a second, then ramped up to full volume after about 1 second. Nice and loud, but pretty much useless to warn some idiot who just pulled out in front of you.

Be good if you could find "on time" specs, or test first.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

We call that "trivia" to be kind ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

The best kind! 8;)

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

It's minimal if you keep the hoses short and wire the compressor through a relay to keep the voltage up. Or get the compact Stebel Nautilus horn, which has no hoses at all.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I want to "third" the Borla vote. I absolutely love it (duals) on the NB and it's a VERY simple install. I did it on Christmas day in between the festivities at my house one year. There is a slightly less woderfull sound at "full squirt" when it's completely cold. It's not horrible and it's only in the first minute or so when you're not normally "full squirting" it anyway. After that it's pretty much total bliss (tunnels and bridges are a special delight ;-).

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks Pat, that's another factor that i didn't mention intially for the horn- ease of intsallation. I don't really want my mechanic to try and guess on too much, especially since I'm not there.

-Drew

Reply to
ajk170

Great! Now I can share taht with my wife- who thinks that's all I know is useless stuff.

Reply to
ajk170

Thanks to all you guys for putting me down the Borla path! I listened to the adio clip on their website- for what that's worth, but I guess it's better than nothing- and that IS what I had in mind! But I noticed on the Borla website that it "auto picks" the Borla Exhaust after making going through thier selection list. I don't seem to be able to select any other type of exhaust from thier inventory. Plus, after going through all of Borla's selections it only gives me the Automatic or 5 speed for a 2002. But my LS is a 6 speed. I suspect the exhaust setup is the same as the 5 speed so it shouldn't really matter- but a small point nonetheless.

I will continue to go through the various websites to try and find some different lines for the Borla. If anyone has a particular website that is good and deserves the business, I'm not partial to any one company.

Thanks Again!

-Drew

Reply to
ajk170

Iva- have you noticed any delays in the Crazy Red like these guys are talking about - that was something that I hadn't considered. How about cold weather? Any noticable difference in the cold?

Thanks-

-Drew

Reply to
ajk170

Pat- have you noticed any delays in the Wicked Loud like these guys are talking about? I'm starting to become torn between the classy sound of an airhorn or the reliability of an eletrical. I'm starting to think that if either way I go I'll be stuck with a dealy, then maybe I'll lean to the Crazy Red.

Thanks-

-Drew

Reply to
ajk170

I've had a Brainstorm dual outlet muffler on my 02 since new and love it. Nice growl on acceleration but no drone when cruising. It installed in 20 min on the factory brackets. You get a template for the second exhaust cut out in the bumper cover. A Dremel makes this an easy 3 min task.

I tried the Crazy Red horns on a previous Miata - I didn't like the delay and they only lasted about a year. This time I picked up an electric horn from Harbor Freight for less than $10. It installed in place of the stock horn ( no mods needed), and is twice as loud.

Reply to
BCRandy

No, the Wicked Loud horns work exactly like the original horn, just a lot more noise with no noticeable delay at all.

That delay, no matter how short, and the frequent reports of air horns failing are what caused me to buy the Wicked Louds. I want my horn to work immediately every time I hit the button.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Pat

Reply to
pws