gas smell in trunk

I thought I read a post about this recently, but I can't find it now...

The trunk of my 90 smells VERY strongly of gasoline. Is this an indication of a problem that I should deal with? Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions? It's so bad, I can't put anything in the trunk unless I don't mind it reeking of gas.

Reply to
Lisa

Don't top up the gas. When the pump turns off, that is it.

There is a plate below the carpet at the driver's side hiding the gas line to the tank. It may be worthwhile to take a look. Take out the plastic pins (lift the center and pull them out), pull away carpet, take out 4 size 10 bolts.

Don't smoke.

Replacement parts at a discount can be obtained from calling trussvillemazda.com.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

snip

I always quit pumping when the pump turns off. I do not top off.

I'm glad I don't!

Thanks for the info, Leon!

Reply to
Lisa

Yep, that was me...

Between the fuel lid and the gas tank is a rubber hose. One of the metal rings that hold it into place had come loose. Some fuel leaked out and caused the smell. Maybe in your case the same rubber hose is damaged and has to be replaced.

I have a 98 mx-5 and had to remove the lining and a small metal plate before i could reach and view these parts.

Not dificult at all to do yourself, but don't wait too long : the smell caused me several days of severe headache...

Werner B.

see also:
on "forum" and look at "techniek-onderhoud/benzinegeur" for a picture

"Lisa" wrote :

Reply to
Idefix Maximus

Ok, you jinxed me. My trunk on my '92 didn't smell like gas until you posted this. Now it smells like gas. Did you ever figure out where the smell was coming from?

Reply to
D. Rogers

Not really... my husband tore the trunk apart & checked it all out, but he couldn't figure it out. But I can't put my gym bag back there or any groceries, or they stink, too.

Reply to
Lisa

Lisa, Check your spare tire for proper (60 psi) pressure. when the summer temps go up, the tire will out-gas and it smells a lot like "car gas". I know that my car will do that and I found out it was the tire. Your "90 spare is old enough to have it do that.

Hope that is your answer.

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Could be. I believe some other poster years ago had a similar problem. Unless it was you. :) But I think that poster ended up wrapping the tire itself in plastic.

Another idea: tape newspaper tightly around the tank tubing and put it on the floor below. If fuel is leaking, you might see a signature.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
Lisa

Reply to
Lisa

No Leon, I didn't post it , but I saw it and took the tire out for a short time and the smell went away. I checked the pressure in the spare and it was down to about 45 psi . I still get it now and then, but I check the tire more now. (not fr the smell, but for pressure) :-)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Reply to