Gotcha, you damn drunk driver

I definitely get your point, but let's look at it from another direction. Do I also need to install a tracking device in my car now that you can buy one or should that still be optional? They will probably be standard one day. Your idea is not completely implausible, though only one person, (maybe husband/wife or whatever), being able to drive any given car would present problems, but it would have to be phased in over a long period of time.

Not really a bad idea, I just question the practicality and fear the misuse of the information given over to "them". Anyway, it looks like at least 5 people total are still reading rather than my estimated four. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

To be honest, your first response elicited that. Reading further I could see your thought process. I gotta agree with Jim, it just got to be too much testosterone for me.

Take it easy guys, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I was obviously too opaque. Sorry, and thanks for your followup.

miker

Reply to
miker

Yes, it would be. But gradually we lose the old ones. I remember seeing a '64 Biscayne like my first car the other day - I used to see them fairly frequently, nowadays I have to go to a hot rod meet.

I think that would be one of the situations where it would work - he plonks his thumbprint there, you start the car and drive him home. This isn't a guy who's lost his license, right? If he had, he couldn't have driven the car to where you are.

It would work if the owner was along (or sent you off after starting it) but that would be a hassle, yes.

A definite problem, one shared today by... uh, I'm thinking of something on tv about Mercede's, can't remember it. There was something dealers had that made them much easier to steal if you got one. Key codes? Just to fling something out, how about making the mechanics override something 1'x2'x3' that would fit in the trunk? That way it's obvious if you're carrying one around. (heh. Just brainstorming.)

A valid concern. Flipping that over, the freedom from Big Brother comes with a price... people driving that shouldn't be. And today it looks like Americans would rather add even illusionary safety than keep freedoms.

miker

Reply to
miker

Ok miker, at this point we are agreeing far more than disagreeing. I think we actually reached an understanding after all of those many posts. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

And we are now off-topic enough to interest Homeland Security. Ah well.

miker

Reply to
miker

Crap, I can hear the helicopters now....

See ya in Cuba!

Pat

Reply to
pws

it's a joke :) :P

somebody don't like drunken drivers, some rice civic kiddies, some grandparents behind the wheel

any whoo, did you celebrate today :D :D :D

fyi I'm 6yo (6 driving a mx-5, + 23 that don't count)

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

scary :)

does she autocross?

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

yeah, a little bit....

Only in Florida. She hates to finish with the worst time of the group, and has explained to me that it never happens at this one course as long as this certain man shows up.

She didn't know his name but said that he drove a white M1 with BBS wheels for a long time and then showed up in the latest model, also in white. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Sounds likely.

No doubt. I hope she understands that a car is a dangerous object that can do real damage if not to her, to the people around her.

It would appear that this "sharp old lady" has difficulty distinguishing what state she is in. I wonder how long it takes until we discover that she also has difficulty distinguishing between the pedals on her car. It is all in the genes, you know.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

It is absolutely true. I was following her and she was doing 40-45 mph in a 30 zone. The sad reality is that she can get away with that, but her grandson in a much more capable car will be given the ticket just because it is red and sporty-looking. I don't speed very often. My last ticket was a year ago, the last one before that was in 1996, and I haven't used a radar detector for at least the last 12 years. That is one speeding ticket in roughly 180,000 miles that I have driven since 1996. You can disbelieve that if you like, but I know that it is true.

Yes, she still seems to understand the world around her, better than many people that are half or even one quarter her age.

No, she can tell if she is happy, angry, sad, etc. That doesn't seem to be a problem for her... ;-)

It will probably, (and hopefully), be after she stops driving. I got most of my genes from my gramps, who smoke and drank for most of his life and lived to be 89, never had a weight problem, and was taking literally no medication at the age of 80. That is about the age that he quit driving because of his eyesight going bad, and he never caused any injury accidents. I can only hope that the genes play a role....... :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws