grinning like an idiot and and scratching my head

I've been driving between Tampa and New Jersey every 2 weeks for the past 2 months and as you can imagine my life has been a bit scattered.

I love the drive because I love the car. I owned a mint condition 85 RX7 for a few years before it became a casualty of my divorce and I never thought another car would make me just smile from the simple act of sitting in it... but the MX5 does. I just grin like an idiot when I drive it... and from a car that is 100% stock that is a wonderful thing. My 13 year old was with me last week when we saw a Porshe and I said that it was a great car... and he asked me what it cost. And I told him... and he said to me "Do you think he has any more fun than you do with your car"? Maybe but I sincerely doubt it.

I used to be a BMW motorcycle mechanic.... And I find myself looking at the engine compartment of my MX-5 and scratching my head... is there a basic shop manual or Haynes or something that doesn't cost 160.00?

Reply to
zenmartini

I know exactly how you feel. It is quite an amazing feeling to sit in the little Miata and simply enjoy it so much. And I don't really know how much more enjoyment somebody driving a car that's 3x or more the cost is getting. Likely not 3x more. I've found that the thrill of sitting in an open cockpit car and tottling on down the road in the sunshine and warmth is not matched by a whole lot.

Reply to
Mark

You can go a long time without needing more than you'll find in the miata.net Garage section.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Most UK enthusiasts use the Veloce manual by Rod Grainger. It's not perfect but it's better than the Haynes one. Don't worry, it's written in American English although the publisher is British, so you can keep your hoods, trunks, rocker panels, driveshafts and transmissions (or, as we say, bonnets, boots, sills, propshafts and gearboxes) ;-)

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Thanks for the translations! Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Fortunately, the Miata doesn't have knaveplates, and with a minimum of luck you'll never need to know about gudgeon pins. :-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ok... I give... what is a knaveplate?

Reply to
zenmartini

Here ya go.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Wheel cover, originally to hide the spokes of a wire wheel (go figure).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

A bit like BBS centre caps? I wonder if they used to get stolen as frequently? ;-)

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I believe they were held in place by the same knock-off spinner as the wheel.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny Chambers wrote: >

I saw a light blue NA Miata the other day that had Baby Moons on it. I know the steel rims weigh a lot, but boy, did it look sharp!

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
W. Kiernan