ESP, ABS, and Other Light (Looks like a shock absorber) comes on.

I have a 1997 Mercedes SL600 and while i'm driving, the ESP, ABS, and another light (Looks like a shock absorber inside parenthesis) comes on while I'm driving. I didn't hit the brakes prior to them coming on. When I start the engine, the lights all go off, but eventually come on again.

It prevents my convertible top from working, the ride height adjustment stops working, the Active body control switch doesn't work and neither does the ESP switch.

Does anyone know what this could be and is it difficult to fix by myself or is this a dealer thing?

I'm assuming it's a bad sensor somewhere.. Is it an expensive repair or can I easily fix this myself?

If it is a sensor, where would it be located, how much approximately would it cost and where could i get one?

I know this is a long message, but I'm hoping i don't have to go to mercedes to get it repaired.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
strategicminds

Have you call a dealer in your area? I found the MB dealer in Spokane, Washington to be very helpful over the phone.

HTH

Reply to
Don.

I haven't called an MB dealer yet. I was hoping someone knew what the problem could be (possibly)..

Reply to
strategicminds

Your reasoning make sense, it's just that I've seldom see readers respond to questions. :-(

Reply to
Don.

Well.. Hopefully someone would know the answer to this. I get the feeling it's something that's somewhat common. I'm pretty sure it's a sensor though. The question is.. which one, where is it and how much does it cost?

lol..

Reply to
strategicminds

Sounds like a mess to me. Why would you have to take it to the (shudder) dealer. There are some pretty good independants who have the right equipment. I have an sl600 and my mechanic said that the sl is like a complex tank, full of all kinds of computer problems, which seems to be the major complaint about Mercedes. But dates fall in love with me upon sight of it. The car.

Reply to
SW