How long do the OEM Bilstein's last?

I have 67,400 on my 2000 and I'm thinking the Bilstein's might be getting to the end of their life. Is there a good way to test them?

Reply to
Scott Streeter

Apparently they can go for 120,000 (the standard shocks are past their best well before Bilsteins). The only tests I know of are the "bounce test" and, of course, pushing up the shock boot and checking for leaks.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

120,000.... That would be great :) The car is not bouncing alot. It springs back over bumps pretty quick. I though the bilsteins lasted about 70,000ish which is why I thought I needed to do something soon.
Reply to
Scott Streeter

I recall it being mentioned here that the bounce test is inappropriate. Don't recall why, though.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Because it doesn't work. The Miata is too light, and the springs are too stiff--it won't support a decent bounce no matter how worn the shocks are. You'd only dent the bodywork trying.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

So what is the best way to determine whether one's Miata shocks are past due?

Reply to
Mark

The experts around here say the OEM shocks are gone at 40K miles. I suppose I should be embarrassed that mine have 96K on them. The suspension does make some odd noises now and then and one of the shocks was leaking at my last service. But then, I'm the guy who just tops off his clutch fluid reservoir every day rather than get the slave cylinder replaced. Not that I'm recommending it.

Reply to
Frank Berger

A leaking shock is kaput. The classic first symptom of worn shocks on a Miata is bottoming of the rear suspension through dips. And, as has been noted, the normal life of OEM shocks is 30k-40k miles. They wear out gradually, so it's not readily noticed.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"Frank Berger" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Don't feel too bad Frank, my OEMs have 170,000+ on them.. :(

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Lanny Chambers wrote in news:lanny- snipped-for-privacy@news.kc.sbcglobal.net:

Tho the Bilsteins (as the OP stated he has) are supposed to last a significant time longer, are they not?

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Yes. I don't think enough Bilsteins have worn out yet yo get a handle on their longevity. After all, the oldest ones are only (!) 14 years old.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Whoa.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I remember reading somewhere that Bilsteins are still over 90% effective after 200,000 km (about 120,000 miles). They can also be rebuilt - which is cheaper than a new set of good shocks. :)

The Bilsteins on my 1993 NA were still great with 180,000 km on them.

Reply to
Mr Q

Yes. I've heard 100k miles, FWIW. They're rebuildable, if the downtime is tolerable.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers