Shocks or struts?

Pardon the probably very obvious question. I'm planning to replace my shock absorbers this weekend (as long as I get the job done before the Bears get humiliated on the field!). So I stopped by my local autozone to make sure they had a spring compressor and the guy at the counter asked me if I was replacing shocks or struts. I assume shocks, but I really have to confess I don't know the difference. What am I replacing? And what is a strut (other than a fancy walk)?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark

The Miata has coil-over shocks. A MacPherson strut contains a shock absorber, but also provides location of the suspension. The Miata's wheels are located by wishbones, and its shocks do not bear any cornering loads.

That said, a strut-type compressor may be the right one to use on a Miata.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Yes, the layout of the shock and spring on a McPherson strut is similar to the Miata. I used a spring compressor sold for use on McPherson struts and it worked fine. Take care, there is a lot of stored energy in those springs when compressed.

Reply to
Martin T

I would call the shock/spring/topmount assembly a strut, but if they're thinking of a McPherson strut (the cheaper front suspension option, using a beefy shock and no upper wishbone), no, it's not one of those.

What the Miata doesn't have is fully separated springs and shock absorbers, which were very common on old sports cars and are seen on some new ones too.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Zog,

If you would call it a strut, then you would be wrong. 1989 thru 2005 has a full double wishbone suspention system at all four points on the car.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

I know, but "strut" seems a good word for the shock/spring assembly, which can be removed as a unit. "Coilover" is better, I know, but "coilovers" tend to have adjustable lower spring platforms.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Wow, before I asked I had to worry about struts vs. shocks. Now I have coil-overs to throw in the mix! :-)

But the ultimate question is what type of spring compressor do I use, and the only answer I've got so far is that a strut type compressor is probably ok. Any other opinions before I wade into this this weekend?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark

If they offer a big one and a little one, take the little one. There's not much space between a Miata spring's coils.

A better idea is to remove the spring/shock units from the car and take them to a machine shop to have the springs remounted on the new shocks. They'll charge you a few bucks, but you won't wreck your arms twisting compressor bolts for an hour, and will sidestep the potential danger of the compressor coming loose under tension. This assumes you have alternative transportation, of course.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Use a spring compressor or alternatively get a helper who can hold the springs compressed, there's a reporter for the Daily Planet named Clark Kent who can do this for you....

Reply to
XS11E

If you decide to forge ahead, I highly recommend an air ratchet. The first time I did this I did all the turning by hand and that's pretty much a night mare! This job is trickier than it might seem with little subtle things causing you to take steps backwards quite often until you've learned the details. As said, the spring compressors are your friend but they will turn on you if you don't treat them right :-) Tighten them evenly, keeping the spring as straight as possible and be patient, hurrying will just get you 'do-overs'. Oh, the other thing that was a surprise to me the first go-round was shock boots (dust covers). If they're really ratty/ deteriorated, you should replace them. Shop around, prices vary HUGELY! I think I've seen them from $25 ea down to about $35 for the set of 4. Of course, quality will vary some but that's ridiculous, they are mostly just to keep debris away from the plunger rod. Also pay attention to whether they include a bumpstop or if it's a separate item (IIRC). If I remember right you might be able to cut your old bumpstops from the old boots if they are decent shape and you buy a set of boots w/o bumpstops. It's been awhile though since I originally did this.

This is probably a 4~5 hr job at home in the garage / driveway but first time figure you might need 6~8 hours to complete it.

Chris

99BBB

"XS11E" wrote in message news:Xns98CB8A92AE305xs11eyahoocom@69.28.173.184...

Reply to