magnets on fuel line

i recently added a magnetic system to my 1990 (approaching 199K this week) in an attempt to improve mileage. (the basic premise is that if you magnetize the fuel positively and the air negatively (or vice versa), they'll remain combined after compression in the chamber resulting in a more efficient burn.

has anyone else had any experience with this?

after about six weeks, i've gone from about 26 mpg to about 30 mpg (all city). at $3.20 a gallon nowadays, that makes me pretty happy. the thing is, the car now overheats anytime i sustain anything above

4000 RPM (or about 80mph) for 2-3 minutes. (i live in LA and the 210 seems to average about 80 in the middle lane when i'm on the road). generally cranking on the heat full blast gets the needle back to center, but the dash still feels *really* hot, and everything under the hood is still *extremely* hot when i've arrived & looked under the hood.

while i suspect that the hotter burn is the primary factor (the accompanying literature suggests that 87 would burn like 100 with the magnets), i should mention that i recently replaced the front license plate - have driven without it for eight years, finally got a (parking!) ticket, and the outside temperature has been in the 90's &

100's most of the time - which i though might be a factor, but i've seen the temperature come back down to normal while at a dead standstill while cranking on the heat full blast.

so i guess my main purpose for posting is to solicit comments about:

- magnetizing the fuel/air to improve mileage & performance;

- the impact of running the equivalent of 100 octane (i have noticed a little more HP on acceleration and i still am usually still in 3rd gear when pulling on the highway at 65mph) in a 16 year old car - is it within the recommended tolerances?

- should i go ahead and maybe replace the thermostat anyway? (i *do* plan on flushing the radiator);

thanks.

barry '90 sky blue - "marvin"

"i can spell. i just can't type."

Reply to
barry

I suspect this the true explanation.

J Brockley

Magnets don't work quite as well as hanging garlic from the rearview mirror. For a real improvement, try sacrificing a few goats.

Placebo effect, nothing more.

Not "a" factor, it's THE factor. Something in your cooling system isn't right, but running plateless was compensating and masking the problem. Now you need to troubleshoot the cooling system and fix it. You probably need a new radiator.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I wouldn't be so sure. I have a '91 Roadster which has always got very hot when the ambient temperature is above about 28 centigrade. When I first got the car and noticed this I went through everything, replacing the thermostat and the radiator. Nothing did any good (and cranking up the hot air vent did cool it off significantly straight away). Someone else here mentioned the license-plate thing so I tried that - I moved the license plate from in front of the air intake to on the front of the bumper. That did it, problem solved. It would appear that this is a common problem with early MX5s, so my recommendation would be to first get a license plate plinth like the one I got -

- before going for something more expensive like a new radiator (though it's worth checking the thermometer since that's fairly cheap). I'm not sure that the missing license plate was masking a problem with the cooling system. Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

That's utter crap. The phrase "magnetize something positively" or "magnetize something negatively" is meaningless in this context. It may be possible to mathematically describe such a condition, since magnetic monopoles do appear to be predicted by some GUTs, but they doesn't exist the the physical world.

Magnetic monopoles _do_not_exist_ in any practical terms.

Hogwash.

It's 100% pure bullshit.

Something else has changed. You're probably driving more conservatively -- possibly as a result of unconscious confirmation bias.

A) You misspelled "The accompanying lies".

B) Higher octane doesn't burn hotter. It resists pre-ignition and knocking/pinging better.

Simply not possible. You can't magnetize a gas, _even_if_ the individual molecules do have a magnetic dipole moment (which O2 and N2 do not). IIRC, gasoline does have a magnetic dipole moment, so the molecules will tend to align with a magnetic field, but as soon as they leave the field they will resume their normal random orientations.

A moot point question, since you're not.

If you have pinging/knocking using lower octanes, then higher octane will improve performance. If you don't have pinging/knocking (or timing being automatically retarded to prevent pinging/knocking), then higher octane is useless.

Probably. It's easy and cheap.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Lanny Chambers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

Not another ignorant goat sacrificer? Don't you people know you have to sacrifice sheep?

Hehehehe.... looking forward to the time the goat/sheep controversy will be bigger than the synthetic/natural controversy and waiting to hear from the chicken/pig/cow sacrificers......

Reply to
XS11E

Barry, you have too much "coolant" in your cooling system

the water is what removes the heat, the coolant protects the engine from the water

and you are getting less airflow because of the blockage of the front plate

  1. more water, less coolant in your next replacement (to 70-80% water)

  1. bend the plate corners to direct some air flow rather than flat to the wind /\

  2. get one of those swing up license plate mounts (diy now ? (see miata.net))

  1. mount the plate higher than the opening -old solution was bend it up and store on dash

  2. move to a less dracionian nanny state

from nowhere

barry wrote:

Reply to
Nobody

  1. Pay the ticket and forget about it.
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Depends on the entity to whom you're making the sacrifice. If you trust in angels and other things that wear white robes, go ahead and try sheep. But if you want real results, draw that pentagram and round up some goats.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny Chambers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

The great Boojum, of course.

Boojum - (aka Boojum-Under-The-Rock) is the One True God(tm), all other gods are utterly false, and all other religions are crap. Followers of the One True Way(tm) - known variously as Boojumites, Boojumists, Boojutics, or by many other names - believe that the World (As We Know It) was created in 1934 (on April 1st at 9am, to be exact) when Boojum "uurped wisely in the slime" to create the first "humorans" (humans). Previously the world had been chiefly inhabited by Trolls, whom Boojum banished beneath the Earth. One day, probably in the future, Earth's surface will crack and the Trolls will pour out to again take over the world, an event called the Great Rupture. At that time, all people who have not "found Boojum" will become eternal Troll slaves, and made to wear leisure suits, drink American beer, and suffer other horrors too foul to contemplate.

Meanwhile, there are signs and portents. Chief among these is the flamingo, especially the pink plastic lawn flamingo, which is a symbol of Boojumite Sainthood. Who is a Boojumite Saint? Golly, who isn't? This great honor has been bestowed on many people, whose gratitude is best expressed in this quote from St. DogMeat, "Thanks for the gum ball, Mickey!" There are also Mega-Saints, who are akin to 33rd Degree Masons in that they hold all the Keys to Knowledge and Secretly Control the World!

Many famous religious leaders, over the course of history, have seen the light and been converted to The Truth of Boojum(tm). Usually, this revelation prompts them to write a book repudiating their previous beliefs - and tragically, the book's publication usually prompts the convertee's former followers to murder the convertee, to prevent the total collapse of what had been to that time a major religion. Many of these (in)famous books share similar titles, such as: TAO IS CRAP by Lao Tze; BUDDHISM IS CRAP by Siddhartha Guatama; ISLAM IS CRAP by Mohammed; THELEMA IS CRAP, by Aleister Crowley; ATHEISM IS CRAP By Madeline Murray O'Hare; and most recently, SATANISM IS CRAP by Anton LaVey, who was tragically "bumped off" earlier this year (by the use of a subtle poison which induced a "heart attack"). There is even rumored to be a volume entitled BOOJUMISM IS CRAP, but its existence has not been verified (though rest assured, if it does exist, its author will be "dealt with" in the usual manner!).

The Holy Book of Boojumism, known as the Booble, has never been completely written down, but instead is accessed extemporaneously by channelling Boojum. Thus it is ever-changing, seemingly at the whim of the individual, but eternally the Word of Boojum Himself. There are those among the unbelievers - probably Trollist Agents! - who claim that Boojumites "make it up as they go along" and in fact that the entire religion is nothing but an offshoot of Discordianism, and an inane parody of every other religion... but these poor fools are short- sighted indeed, to limit their accusations in such a manner, for in Truth(tm), Boojumites make fun of EVERYTHING. And yet, at the core, there is an essence of... solidity. Boojum is real! Boojumism "works if you work it" (as the saying goes). Witten by Benjum, Prophet of Boojum

Reply to
XS11E

But not until after they're finished eating dry underbrush in what I thought was a rather amusing attempt to control wildfires.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

"Eric Baber" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Not my work, did you see the "Witten by Benjum, Prophet of Boojum" part?

You can see more of this guy's particular dementia here:

Browse around and you might read about a sad experience with....

Another Broken Gun

The guy is really weird but he can write pretty doggone well!

Personally, I don't think he's weird enough to think that putting magnets on the fuel line would help anything....

Reply to
XS11E

(snippage)

Actually, I prefer the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Our heaven is way cooler than yours.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

i *am* contemplating that. i've seen them before.

but since i never attach the top except when it rains sometimes (if you keep moving you actually stay relatively dry), it'd be too easy to lose.

eh, i kinda like it here otherwise - i did manage to go for 8 years w/o the front plate before i finally got busted. the funny thing is that i got it as a parking violation downtown - and not cited during any of my moving violations.

to all: thanks to those who provided courteous replies. while the consenus was that this can't possibly work, *something* influenced the mileage improvement and it *wasn't* a change in driving habits. and no one has access to my garage so as to add fuel to the gas tank without my knowledge! it's something i'd consider doing to someone else under similar circumstances.

"i can spell. i just can't type."

Reply to
barry

No.

Reply to
tooloud

You need to degauss the magnets and reverse polarize them. Then, for your cooling problem, flip the thermostat upside-down and the engine should run cooler. If you notice a further increase in mileage and a cooler running engine, you should try self-trepanation. Learn more at:

:)....

barry wrote:

Reply to
Fabiano

I too have been touched by His Noodly Appendage. How else could I have found my mint 04 Miataspeed the very day it showed up at the dealer?

Reply to
Carbon

I have my FSM T-Shirt on as I write this. Xmas present from my 15-yr-old. She's a big FSM fan. Really bugs her godsey pals.

You know, Iva, instead of angels, the FSM has ... PIRATES. Yeah. Really, big, mean pirates who guard him and stuff.

FSM lives in a resort in the clouds, sorta like, uh, Las Vegas but ... Better. And you don't have to die to go there. He can just, like, take you up there. Whenever.

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

Uh - *L-E-O-N*!!!