Mexico border crossing?

Because of graduate student availability, I will need to take my annual trip in May. (Of course there was a time that a Professor of Mechanical Engineering, one who on this very same day was beseeched for assistance by the Director of Projects Implementation at the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources of South Africa, then by Prince George Sanoussi of Guinea-Conatery, and also by a major rebel leader in Angola, could set his own agenda, but anyway.)

I was thinking that maybe this would be the year it would be conceivable to go south to Mexico. Anybody know how tough the border patrols are at that border? Eventually one would like to get back into the US with his beloved Miata, if you know what I mean.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Are you asking about a specific crossing point or Mexico in general?

Pat

Reply to
pws

I'm not sure I do know what you mean. Why wouldn't the border patrol let somebody back into the US with a Miata?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Leon, that's not a very good idea. The border isn't the problem. Dunno where in Mexico you're headed, but there are still vast areas of the north that are virtually lawless, with corrupt police and even soldiery that routinely part gringo tourists from their belongings, cars, and sometimes lives. Tough to admit, but if you disappeared, I think I'd sorta miss you.

If you want to see one of the civilized parts of Mexico, fly there and hire taxis as required.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"Leon van Dommelen" wrote

Just how many illegal graduate students do you think you can fit into the boot of a Miata?

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Border crossings are always a bit nerve-wracking, no matter how innocent a person may be, but there shouldn't be a problem actually getting back across as long are there are no prohibited substances and no guns or ammunition in the car.

Anyone who hasn't been there should park on the U.S. side and go across on foot first. The cars, the streets, and the way people drive can be fun to watch, but probably not from inside your own "nice" car.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Leon -

The biggest issue not addressed is the high rate of auto theft South of the border. -- Check with your insurance agents and ensure each member of your group will be insured...

- L

"Oh bother," said Pooh Bear when he saw the mushroom cloud...

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

As a San Diego resident, I wouldn't take ANY car across the border into Mexico! The comment about lawlesness is valid. Then there are those who look for American cars to involve in accidents. When I go there, I take the trolly to the border, walk thru immigration, then take a taxi to where I want to go.

That said, there are lots of US citizens that live in Mexico and commute to the US for work. Others routinely drive to the resort areas in Baja, etc. Corssing the border in either direction is no big deal, except for the 1 to

2 hour waits one can encounter during rush hours.

One thing all agree on is that you must buy special insurance if you drive in Mexico. Without it, you can be jailed in the event of even a minor accident. There are lots of places near the border crossing where you can purchase a policy - they are not too expensive (I think about $10 to $20).

Good luck....

Randy Maheux

Reply to
Randy Maheux

I was just wondering whether the EPA would put your car for days on an exhaust sniffer, as they do when you bring it back from Europe. Obviously they do not.

Obviously, my idea needs more thought. Putting bullet proofing on a Miata may affect the 50-50 weight distribution. Also, I do not know whether T1-Ss come in the run-flat version. If you can only drive very limited areas, it may not be much fun.

I'll have a look at what the guide books say. In any case, I will certainly be staying south in the US, so maybe there are some more limited possibilities.

Thanks for all the warnings, Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Leon,

If you are going to be in the San Diego area, check into the San Diego Miata Club:

They are a friendly gorup and often have fun runs in the mountains. Driving up Mt Palomar is unforgetable! There is a good country restaurant half way up and the Observatory has a great collections of David Malin's color plates of the cosmos (if you are into that), as well as a tour. There are hundreds of miles of other twisty roads in the mountains 20 miles or so east of the coast. I think the club's web site has some maps. As an ex-Floridian, coming here with a Miata was like going to Miata heaven!

Randy Maheux

Reply to
Randy Maheux

When I was a few months in the bay area in 1999, I went on a tour with the BAMA to an observatory in the area on a great road. I assume it is a different observatory, (can't recall the name off-hand), since it would be quite a way from San Diego.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Mount Wilson perhaps? Or the Lick Observatory. Don't miss the Lick observatory; it's located on the Mt. Hamilton road, a set of really tight and challenging hairpin bends, route 130, San Jose to Patterson.

Cool ride.

Reply to
Nora

"Nora" wrote in news:hIRgc.7368$AT3.3469 @charlie.risq.qc.ca:

Just watch out for the bicyclists - it's a popular road. Another great area road for a Miata is Calveras Blvd - much less traffic than Mt Hamilton and even more turns.

Reply to
Jim

Actually, it is the Palomar Observatory! FWIW, one of the Shoemaker/Levy team that discovered the comet that struck Jupiter several years ago works out of there.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Maheux

Mt Hamilton road it is.

Definitely.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Nora said on 4/19/2004 7:51:

Mount Wilson is in the LA mountains. A nice, curvy drive up Highway 2.

Absolutely.

-Joe

Reply to
Joachim Feise