Mismatched tires work OK, or not good?

The title sums up my question, but here is the long version: Got a

2003 Miata Shinsen version a month ago, which came with Fuzion ZRi summer tires on 205/45-16 wheels. Right now the fronts are at about 2/32" so they should be replaced, but the rears still have 8/32" on them. Although I'm not crazy about the Fuzions (punishing/noisy on bad freeway stretches, and laughable in light snow), overall they work well enough that I would rather use up the two good ones before replacing them. Unless there is a good reason to just scrap them and replace all four at once.

I don't know if the answer depends on whether the mismatched new pair are summer tires or all-season, but I am leaning toward phasing in a reasonably good ("good," if you prefer) set of the latter (e.g. Pirelli PZero Nero M&S or Yokohama AVID H4S, which look to be the best ones Tire Rack can offer in this odd size).

Oh, someday none too soon, I might try out autocross with whatever tires I have on the car. But I figure I only need whatever's on the rims to be good enough to figure out if I want to keep doing it, in which case dedicated wheels & tires would probably eventually be in order anyway.

Part of me wants to rotate the worn tires to the rear and learn drifting, but I am still learning the ins and outs of standard transmission, and would probably inflict a heinous amount of wear and tear on my drivetrain.

Reply to
earache

You've answered most of your own questions quite properly ;-) Personally, I wouldn't waste money on 2 really good tires to be used with two crappy tires. I'd buy all 4 new or two similarly crappy tires. Minor differences front to back aren't a huge deal but a big difference in quality (traction) is going to make your car seriously understeer (good in back) or seriously oversteer (good in front). Actually you only say they ride crappy and are bad in the snow so, not sure how good / bad the traction / characteristics are. I'd still say 2 matching or 4 new is best bet.

I just watched a miata drifting video in which the miata ended up drifting off road and into the woods! Autocross, you'll learn car control. Drifting, while it is car control, is more for showing off than going fast. Which do you want to do?

Good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Hey Chris, thanks for the tip re. tire pressure the other day BTW. Turns out the local dealership had bumped them up to around 30-31 psi after a recent service, and I don't think they've been below 28 while I've had 'em. I've just bled them down to the factory-recommended 26 and will see how that goes. (I've gotten used to the ride to the point where it's acceptable on most roads, but long stretches of unimproved interstates are still pretty jarring, at least at 30 psi. Haven't really pushed the tires, but no complaints re. handling as of yet.)

It'll be down the road, but I'm pretty sure I'll give autocross a whirl at some point. But drifting seems pretty cool too (I just wonder about the cost of repairs and equipment). For me it's about having fun, learning skills, having fun learning skills. Next up for me will be the rev-matched downshift!

The beauty of a Miata is, you almost can't not have fun in one, whatever you are doing. Even the 15 foot trip across my snow-dusted driveway last week was interesting.

Reply to
earache

My experience as well, especially at RR crossings.

I spent an entertaining ten minutes in a parking lot which had been freshly plowed to a nice slick hard packed-snow surface after our recent blizzard. There was just enough slope to the lot that once I was 20 feet in I couldn't get in any farther. Then the back end slowly came around, plus the front started to wander and push. Soon I was moving backward and sideways to the right even tho I was in 1st gear and trying the front wheels various directions. All this at a less-than-walking snails pace, of course.

Finally I was able to get in a position from which I could back into the lot. I parked... when I returned a city sidewalk clearer was showering fist-sized pieces of ice mixed in snow on the poor thing. I managed to get in and get it out of that spot, but then I was in another area where I finally just left the car running in gear with the rear wheels turning, got out, and managed to move it a few feet pushing, and then got a slight incline that let me get back to the street.

miker

Reply to
miker

Sounds like our Massachusetts winters.. (although I'm sure it wasn't "funny" at the time.)

Reply to
Remove This

Sounds like a classic story of driving Z-rated summer-only tires on snow.

We had 2-3 feet of snow in the past week and half, and I was out driving in the worst of it with no problems (thanks largely to 4 Nokian WR snow tires). Since it came in two rather extended storms, I don't think I ever drove in more than about

10 inches of snow. The main problem was out-of-balance wheels due to snow getting packed into them. There were more than a few cars/trucks with "all-season" tires that weren't getting anywhere.

One hapless driver who was spinning her tires hopelessly trying to drive up the very slightly inclined street in front of my house must have had summer-only tires.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reading this makes me very happy it does not snow here. Ever. Mind you, hitting a kangaroo with your windscreen on the open road would not be fun either.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

I agree, though it is quite an oven here during the summer.

During our last rare ice storm, I kept hearing "People down South, (or from Texas), can't drive in this weather". Well no shit, what a surprise.

My response was simply, "we never HAD to learn to drive in this misery".

That was slight sarcasm, but really, are we supposed to be as prepared as people that deal with this yearly? A large part of it is equipment-related as well.

One lifelong Texan that I know moved out of state to a ski resort. He bought a car with snow tires and drives carefully and has had no problems for two winters in a row. That makes me laugh when people from up North act like their winter driving ability is magical.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Hey, watch it! You're giving away all our secrets!

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

It is, and We are !!

Reply to