Wheel bearing or something else?

I have that whining/grumbling noise on a 2005 Ion-2 with 5-speed. Something like the sound of coarse snow tires, but the summer tires
are on.
Bit it doesn't change when turning, like an earlier bad bearing on our SL-2. What could this be? If it is a bad bearing, then which one? I tried jacking it up and turning the wheels by hand, but could not figure it out.
Thanks!

You should be able to feel the vibrations of a bad bearing when you jack up the car and turn the wheel by hand. Also, try rotating the wheel against the axle -- out of plane movement. You may also have loose lug nuts.
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:47:05 -0400, Orval Fairbairn

I tried rotating the wheel when jacked up, could not tell which side. The lug nuts were just tightened to 90-95 ft-lbs.
I will try jiggling the wheel next.

No free play on the wheels. Jacked up the back and it isn't the back wheels. They turn freely.
There isn't much noise until 20 MPH or so. It's still there with engine off and transmission in neutral.
Still can't tell which side it is.

IMHE, a deteriorating wheel bearing will make noise for a very long distance before failing. Use caution, YMMV. As the bearing deteriorates it will normally make more noise when cornering and usually more in one direction than another.
Until the bearing gets quite bad, it is often hard to feel or hear any bad bearing noise when inspected by hand, largely due to the drag from the brake pads. If you remove both front calipers and pads, (hang the caliper with wire, do not suspend with the brake fluid hose) and reinstall the wheels, then the bad side noise will be easier to find by spinning the wheel. IMHE, The bearing needs to be really far gone before any excess play can be felt. A proper mechanics stethoscope can be helpful. It is quite easy to replace the wrong side bearing, DAMHIK.
Good luck, YMMV
top post
Is there a "hanger bearing" on the axle ? ( for lack of the proper term ) a bushing between the tranny & CV joint ? My old SL1 needed this fixed - similar symptoms. John T.