Multiple Random Misfires ODB code

Okay, I hope you all can reassure me a bit here. I bought my 97 Miata Friday. Drove it 200 miles that night and all was fine. Saturday I take it out for some spirited driving and the check engine light comes on. Reset it by pulling a certain fuse (couldn't tell you which one but its on the web somewhere) and today (Sun.), same thing. Took it to Autozone and it came up as Multiple Random Cylinder Misfires. I can tell you that it seems to happen when I go over 5500 or so, other than that the engine idles, revs and pulls wonderfully. Could this be something super major??? Or could it be the plug wires?? What else might it be??

Thanks

John

Reply to
jchristman

Try the plugs and wires first, making sure that wires stay away from each other to prevent crossfire. Running a bottle of injector cleaner at each of the next few tanksful is a good idea as well.

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Michael Verive

Plugs and wires, you will find are persnikity (sp?) items on the miata. If they are not 'just right' you'll have a poor running car especially in the high rpm range. NGK is pretty commonly considered the best brand for Miata's as well as most Japanese cars. NGK 'blue' plug wires are commonly considered the best value by most although I'm trying a lifetime set of NAPA brand wires (so far so good).

You will find miata.net 'priceless' you've got to do a little digging sometimes but most everything is there somewhere. Most of the guys here are quite helpful too. Hope you get her screaming all the way to the red line real soon!

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks for the info, pretty much what I was thinking from what I read. I have been checking out that website, it has tons of info, so is it considered laziness to post a question here??? Anyway, I was reading somewhere and one possible cause of a missfire is a broken crankshaft. Sure makes sense to me, although I can't imagine mine is. But then again I am the type to worry about everything.

John

Reply to
jchristman

Plugs and plug wires. Replace them, reset the light, and don't worry unless it happens again.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

My several years-worth of CELs due to P0300 Random Misfire were due to a bad bunch of Mazda coil packs, but that applies only to 1999 + models, so yours is probably plug wires.

Not really, but if it's a question that's been answered ad infinitum here, on Miata fora and is fully answered on Miata.net, you might get a few snarky answers.

Some of the answers on Miata.Net tend to apply to particular models, and quite often the fact that the info doesn't apply to later models is not mentioned, so details about a specific problem are always useful.

However, if you asked about something that's so obvious as to indicate a complete lack of research, e.g. is a Miata a convertible, some members of the group might not bother answering.

Stop worrying about everything! It's very stressful and non-productive. Change the wires, go for a drive and relax.

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR5 maps

Reply to
Nora

Might be. But nothing to worry about; I would be answering.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen