Check engine code advice???

I told my wife to go to autozone and have them read the code.

*******

So, the codes on my car were: PO303, which the guy said was cylinder 3 misfire, and PO300, which was random multiple misfires. He said new plugs and wires should fix it.

********

I had the cylinder 3 misfire code about 1 year ago and I replaced the Plugs only. That worked fine until now. Could the plugs be bad so soon or should I have replaced the wires when I did the plugs?

Plugs are not that expensive but they are a pain to get at the back 3 plugs.

97 Camry XLE, 6cyl.

Should I replace just the wires now or wires and plugs??

TIA.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

you said the plugs were not expensive I wonder if the right ones were put in.. On my 97 4 cyl they cost $13 each. They usually last for 60,000 miles or so. Might be time for wires...

Reply to
ROBMURR

Plugs and wires are a place to start, however you also have to look at the other option if this doesn't work, a leak in the intake manifold. this means that the leak is allowing to much (and unmeasured) air into cyl. 3 which is throwing off the air/fuel mixture that the computer deems is correct, but of course can't compensate for air coming in another direction. As for plugs, go with Denso copper plugs or NGK's, they shouldn't cost $13 a plug unless you're installing Iridium's, or going to the dealer for the same plugs that are under $1.80

Plugs

plugs.

Reply to
Eric F