MX-3 throtle body repair

Does anyone have any experiance with a bad throttle body. The car has been stalling and surging at low and high speeds. the dealer is telling me that it is the throttle body and will cost 1200.00 to replace. Is there a cheap way to repair or rebuild these things.

Reply to
Jbones4513

Well, if it is anything like a Miata, I would remove it from the intake manifold, use some spray cleaner injector cleaner to clean it and a soft rag. Be careful not to remove the "coating" on the "butterfly" then follow the shop manual on setting the "throttle positioning control" (that requires a "multimeter" and some feeler gages) then put it back on. If you follow the instructions, it will work better ! :-) I think you can get the info. from your public library "Chilton Manual" is one that will have it, I guess.

Hope this helps. I do this to my wifes Camry about once a year. Sofar I have had no problems. (215,000 miles on it.)

Bruce RED '91 (Miata)

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN