Mx5 Miata and Stock Horn!

Anyone have experience with different horns then those delivered with the car? Not sure they are easily heard if there is a problem. Thanks!

Reply to
mowgli

I tried a couple brands of air-horns, but they both had problems when cold and failed completely within a year or two.

The "wicked loud" horns from Serious Auto are nice:

They're just standard dual-tone car horns, but they come with a relay, a couple brackets, wiring, and mounting instructions.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I picked up a dual tone horn at Harbor Freight and just replaced the stock one. It is louder than stock but not as loud as the air horns I had in my previous Miata. You know, the ones that lasted less than 2 years! I'm pleased with what I have now. You might want to experiment - it will cost you less than $10.

Randy

Reply to
BCRandy

I replaced mine with the "Crazy Red Italian" about 5-6 years ago. Still works.

They don't make them (I think). I think they just take all the appropriate parts and put them in one bag.

Just my $0.02.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

My CRI horns work fine after 9 years. I think the key to airhorn longevity is to "test" them once in awhile. Sort of an Italian tuneup for the compressor.

The OEM meep-meep horn must go...unless you really want to send the message, "Please don't hurt me."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Mine lasted a little less than 2 years. During that last winter it didn't work when it was cold. I replaced the CRI horns with a different brand which lasted a little over a year. I replaced the second set of air horns with "wicked loud" horns: they're still going strong 6 years later.

Maybe I just didn't use the air horns enough.

Reply to
Grant Edwards