My car vibernate violently while braking

Here is my car:

1993 MAZDA, protege, SOHC. (116,000 miles). I bought it 6 months ago. then I refill the transmission fluid and replaced two rear tires. The car sounds very heavy, it won't run fast unless I press gas pedal very hard. I used to drive a Honda car, just a slight touch over the gas pedal, it shots out like arrow.

recently I noticed there are two severe problems.

1) It vibernates violently while I put on brake at stop signs and tranfic lights. But after the car picks up speed, it sounds quieter a litte. 2) It consumes a lot of gas recently. Two days ago, I filled the gas to full. Today, it already consumed about 3 gallons, and only ran about 20 or a litte more miles.

Could any one pls tell me what's wrong with this poor car? Thanks alot

Reply to
hnliuhy

A1)The viberation is extremely severe when car is still at the tranfic lights when brake is put on hard and the shift is at D.

A2)When I put the shift to parking. Then car sits quietly.

A3)I checked the pine and muffler. The pine is very rusty and broken.

A4)The car can't pick up speed, and sounds very heavy unless I step on gas pedal very hard.

Reply to
hnliuhy

Check vacuum hose to power brake unit for leaks, or if it is off.

lights when brake is put on hard and the shift is at D.

pedal very hard.

Reply to
<mcben

You probably have a warped brake rotor. If warped it will make the break pedal seem to pulse 'or' will cause the vibration you state. The solution is easy, take the rotor to an automotive machine shop and have it 'faced' and returned to true flat surfaces That you consume a lot of fuel (and have stated the above brake 'problem') incidates or suggests that you have a brake caliper 'hanging up" and not unloading. Next time you drive the car after a few miles, stop and carefully and with caution feel each wheel until you find one that is HOT ... that will identify which brake is malfunctioning - be careful not to burn yourself. (The heat caused by excess brake friction will cause a rotor to warp). The easiest is to entirely replace the brake caliper @ an aftermarket cost of ~$240.00 ..... or you can 'fiddle' with it by backing off the stroke limit adjustment screw - an adjustment that limits the free travel of the piston inside the caliper; then with the caliper dismounted from the wheel make a few attempts to make the piston travel it full stroke (use a C-clamp to prevent too much travel) and see if this doesnt break the piston free on its return stroke.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

Sounds as though you aren't getting power out of all of your cylinders (likely misfiring, or "missing"). Check your plugs and wires (heck, replace them if you haven't done so in the last 20-30k miles), and do the other routine maintenance (tune up, etc.) that would have been due near this time (assume that the previous owner didn't).

The car is "lugging" when at low rpms at idle when engaged to the automatic transmission, but when the load is taken off the engine (putting it in park or neutral) the engine will idle faster, smoothing out the misfire.

You'll know when you've got things right...

Mike "Love My Miata" Verive snipped-for-privacy@mverive.com

lights when brake is put on hard and the shift is at D.

pedal very hard.

Reply to
MiataMan

Thank mcben, MiataMan and Rich Hampel. Wonderful suggestions.

Reply to
hnliuhy

If you do get the sticking caliper to work, dont forget to use a high temperature silicone grease on the piston .... must be high temp

*silic> Thank mcben, MiataMan and Rich Hampel.
Reply to
Rich Hampel

Subject: My car vibernate violently while braking

ACK! My old eyes actually read this post as "my car vibernate violently while barking :-) ~Cissy "Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out of your sock drawer" ?? :-D

Reply to
Expmiata

Silly Cissy. You know that when bears vibernate for the winter they're asleep, and don't bark.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny sezzz :)

Silly Cissy. You know that when bears vibernate for the winter they're asleep, and don't bark.

Oh yeah, huh...... ;D ~Cissy "Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out of your sock drawer" ?? :-D

Reply to
Expmiata