92 Sunbird Wont go past 3000rpms

Hi, I have a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE, 3.1L Multiport V6, 211,000km. The car runs and drives beautifully, but when you floor the pedal the
engine sounds as if it is hitting some sort of a rev limiter and the car begins to jerk violently. If you ease into the gas it gains rpms fine up until about 3000rpms. The car will not go past that point and it again sounds like it is hitting some sort of rev limiter. It never did this before the engine was rebuilt about 20,000km ago. My friend has the identical car and hers doesnt top out until about 6500rpms. Weve gone through the gruleing process of changing the plugs, wires and air filter but nothing worked. The only two solutions i have gotten so far are to replace the Mass Airflow sensor or try a new computer. Any help would be GREATLY appriciated.
Sounds like a plugged exhaust system. Take it to a muffler shop and have them check the pressure of the exhaust, ahead of the Cat. Convert.