New NC debuted today

Probably everyone is still in a haze, weary eyed trying to pass liscense tests in the new GT4 but hey ya'all, did you catch that Mazda did the unvieling today. At 11:30 am central time (US). The intro was pretty cool on the live feed, little small and hard to see much but cool to witness it live. The earlier Geneva thread is i ref to this also. Lots of super quality pics avail thru miata.net. Click on link after the miata of the month link.

Looking forward to reading peoples impressions. I give the exterior a big thumbs up and the interior a thumbs down topped off by an awful steering wheel (where did they come up with that? Maybe an old RX3 or something I don't know.

Can't wait to see it in person. Facts and figures sound good, mainly 46% increase in torsional rigidity. Personally I 'd take the NB interior transplanted into the NC if it were possible.

Check it out, Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I kind of like the exterior, not sure about the wheel arches yet. I agree with the opinion that the steering wheel looks awful, and that isn't something that is going to change from seeing it in person. I think that the stock M1 steering wheel looks awful, but the M2 steering wheel is as good looking as any airbag-equipped wheel that I have seen. Hopefully the M2 steering wheel can be fitted to the new model.

The top is my favorite improvement, no more boot to mess with and no more underside fading when you don't use one. I do wonder how it will affect rollbar installations.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Looking at this:

I wonderhow one goes about stuffing a turbo in there. There is a bit or roomon the passenger fire wall quarter but the antilock is in the way.Perhaps there is more room from below. At least there is not an awful engine cover that appears to be the rage now.

Reply to
Private

It does look very tight in there for installing a turbo or SC, but I would guess that Flyin' Miata will figure something out. Is ABS a standard feature for the new model?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Did you all notice that the engine is set back in a big hole in the firewall ???

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

One thing I see is that the strut brace now seems to have a triangulated design that actually might do something. I do not see the plug wires.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

miatausa.com has a flash movie that shows some cutaways/seethroughs of the carcass. There is a clear view of diagonal braces from the shock towers to the firewall. The crush members appear to the lower that on the current model. I guess they stuck a strong beam under the windhield and that makes for two trapezoids surrounding the engine void in the middle.

Plug wires are hidden under the intake manifold "coverrette" The 2 liter is the new corporate Ford box.

The Mazda site also mentions that there is only a single top latch and a "spring loaded" mechanism that "allows a one handed operation of the top" so no power assist is required. Looking around hera I see about

75 % women drivers, so I wonder if marketing was doing the research.
Reply to
Private

latch and

of the

about

research.

Hrmmph. I have no problem with "one handed operation" of the top on my '90. No power assist needed there, thankyouverymuch.

My concern with the new top is how it handles airflow - is it going to lift up at speed?

-- Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata who just made it to 100,000 miles this past week .)

Reply to
Iva

If you flip the car.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I would imagine there's some provision to hold it down when folded. Perhaps one of Mazda's famous nylon straps with a snap on one end? :-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"Lanny Chambers" wrote

It's latched when down. Here's the release (between the seats):

Ken Lyons

Coil on Plug, and coil per plug (unlike the '01..'05 cars). No high tension wires. The coils are hiding under the cover sporting the mazda wing logo. Link repeated for your viewing convenience.

David Higgins