oh NOES!!!1! / the LISPmobile

Hi Miataphiles!

The Sunday night before last I was taking a nice cruise to the grocery store with the top down, on a quiet two-lane road under canopies of oak trees, where the speed limit is 40 MPH. I had just come over a little hill, when suddenly I saw a flash of headlights in the rear-view mirrors, then an eye-blink later a screech of brakes, and another eye-blink later KAWHAM as the Ford truck which had barreled over the hill behind me at about 90 MPH failed to completely clear my car in his attempt to swerve around me.

If I had had my arm hanging out the window I'd be typing this with one hand. The collision wiped out my driver's side rear quarter panel and the door and the front quarter panel and broke the tie rod on the driver's side front wheel. Say, by the way, y'all truck drivers? ever hear the phrase "handles like a truck"? Yeah, that's you! What I'm trying to say is YOUR GOD DAMN TOP-HEAVY FORD TRUCK IS _NOT_ A SPORTS CAR, IT CAN'T CORNER/CAN'T STOP/CAN'T SWERVE, SO DON'T BE BE A COMPLETE DICK AND TRY TO DRIVE IT AS THOUGH IT WERE! Anyway he took off at about a thirty degree deflection to the left, rooted up about a hundred and fifty feet of hogwire fence, and ended up front-end mudded-down in a cowfield, with both air bags blown and the front wheel busted over parallel with the ground. What do you think the first thing out of his mouth was? "I'll pay you cash, just don't call the cops!" Well...

So say goodbye to my trusty old '93 white B-package! I bought it on May

1, 2000 with 50,000 miles on it, and drove it until April 30, 2006 with 142,000 miles on it. The air-conditioner was non-functional, I'd have had to get that fixed to endure next summer in Tampa, and the top was cracked at the edges and surely would have needed replacement within the year, but still it was beyond a doubt the best car I ever owned, even better than my oil-injected two-stroke '67 Saab Monte Carlo. I never gave any car of mine a name, but since that seems to be en vogue for Miata owners I was thinking at first of calling it "Sadi" (not a girl's name but after Sadi Carnot, as it achieved 28-29 MPG, which is three times better than my work truck.) But "Sadi" didn't stick, and it was just "my car" until a few months back when I found that someone had put two bullet hooles in it while it sat in my driveway. My son, an aficionado of rap music (ouch my sufferin' ears), thought that was awesome, and beseeched me not to repair them. Now once upon a time, world-famous poet and musical performer 50 Cent allegedly got shot nine times, which as all fandom knows is the fount of his epic, almost overwhelming coolness. Two gunshot holes isn't as cool as nine but it's pretty cool; thus, by arithmetical proportion, my car acquired the name "11 Cent."

All you Miata brothas, pour a forty of OE on the ground in memory of your fallen homie 'Leven. >:-(

Well, after an extremely stressful week and a half, I'm finally rid of the rental car (a Dodge Neon SVT with a slushbox and way too much power!) and I'm back on the road again in, what else, you guessed it, another white Miata. This one's a '99 with 63,000 miles, a very base package (non-electric antenna! windows you raise and lower with hand cranks! no cruise control except the one attached to my right ankle! yes!). In 600 miles, I've averaged a hair over 28 MPG. Style-wise, it has the original simplest, cleanest headlight lenses they ever put on an NB, and no body kit, fog lights, spoiler, none of that crap that I don't want and would pay to get rid of. My '93 had fairly new 195-55/14 T1-Ses; this '99 came with 195-50/15 Toyo Proxes 4s. The first few day I drove on them I thought they really sucked, until I finally had time to check the tire pressures which were from 18 PSI to 22 PSI! After I pumped them all up to 28 PSI the handling is much, much nicer, but it seems like the Proxes 4s let go in fast turns a lot sooner than the T1-Ses would. Oh well, when I finally wear them out Kaufmann Tires down the street offers a pretty decent price on T1-Rs.

I like the increment in power. It feels exactly like the '93 1.6L, except it's like I've got about an inch-and-a-half extra throttle. When I shove it down into that bonus inch-and-a-half it growls real pretty and really moves out! There's this one off-ramp I drive every day where if the lights are green I used to come around the sharp corner full-throttle and gun it to the next light a few hundred feet away; by the time I'd get through that second intersection I'd be just up to the speed limit of 45. I did that turn the other day and hit the second light doing about sixty. Sweet, but I'm going to have to learn a little more restraint with this new Miata or else I just know the Hillsbo po-pos are gonna be all over my ass.

The first thing I bought for it was a custom bumper sticker, so this Miata's already got a name: the LISPmobile. See for yourself:

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
Johnny Phenothiazine

Johnny Phenothiazine wrote on 05/13/06 17:47:

Geek ;-) Where did you get that sticker? I want one! Condolences for the old car, btw... Around here in SoCal, we have more idiot SUV drivers than idiot truck drivers.

-Joe

Reply to
Joe Feise

Good thinking! :) I assume it does have a working AC?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Always sad to hear there is one less on the road. Glad you still have both hands!

In Houston we do not differentiate between idiot SUV drivers and idiot truck drivers. The time it would take to do so instead of just zooming the hell out of their way could get you killed.

Reply to
Carol

A shame about the Miata. Of course, the idiot will probably go out and buy yet another big pickup truck that's way beyond his capacity to control. At least he didn't hurt anyone physically.

I'm not sure about the name LISPmobile - are you an old LISP programmer?

Johnny Phenothiaz> Hi Miataphiles!

Reply to
Fabiano

Leon van Dommelen wrote: >

Yep, and a CD player too!

...yes? you addressed me?

Simply send this file:

to this website:

along with a credit card number ($2.99 plus shipping) and they send it to you in the U.S. Mail. Then you can be as public a nerd as me!

Carol wrote: >

I drove the Interstate through Houston _once_ back in 1975 (in a 44 HP

1966 VW Beetle) and the thought of doing it a second time _still_ gives me the shivers.

Fabiano wrote: >

(eval (quote T))

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
Johnny Phenothiazine

W,

I almost skipped over this thread, thinking the subject looks certainly like spam or trolling. Sorry about your loss. What the hell were you thinking getting another of those slow white Miatas?

Reply to
Ken Lyons

For several years, I had a Honda VF500F with the license plate "INT 21H". At least three people walked up to me and correctly guessed what it meant. My VF1100S had "IWRITC" - I always wanted the missing 'E'.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

For several years, I had a Honda VF500F with the license plate "INT 21H". At least three people walked up to me and correctly guessed what it meant. My VF1100S had "IWRITC" - I always wanted the missing 'E'.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

IUSD2WRITC2...

Reply to
Fabiano

It's better without the 'E'. You know Dennis Ritchie would creat his the same way. ;)

miker

Reply to
miker

LOL!!

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

I'll bet $10 that there was alcohol involved, and it doesn't matter what size vehicle you have, Hummer H1 or Miata or a 600cc motorbike, when the driver is fud up (which is mostly likely the reason why he didn't want any cops).

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

That's very likely true about the driver being intoxicated, but if the speed and impact point are the same, I would probably rather get hit by the person on the 600cc motorbike than the one driving the Hummer H1.

Pat

Reply to
pws

If you're quick enough you can just duck and let the H1 pass safely overhead. ;)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Oh crap, now you have me thinking about the old tv show "Hardcastle & McCormick", where they drove underneath a semi-trailer every episode in that kit car.

It was also fun to watch the fiberglass pieces break off on impact when they did jumps. At least they didn't destroy hundreds of '68 Chargers while making the show.

Thanks a lot..... ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Sure. I was just responding to:

"Of course, the idiot will probably go out and buy yet another big pickup truck that's way beyond his capacity to control."

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

Gotcha, I think that we are generally on the same page, but there is something to what the other person wrote.

I have plenty of people who want to race me in trucks/SUV's/Minivans, etc. In many cases, the only thing that appears to be stopping them from either being fast, or causing them to be dangerous once they reached a too-high speed was their choice of vehicle, not their coordination.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I was driving home one night after filling-up my MX-5. The road I was one consisted of a series of switch-backs, but three lanes wide. It was maybe 6 months after I bought the car. Needless to say, I was immensely enjoying the curves, going downhill, when some clown in a Taurus attempted to pass me. He nearly ran up the curve because his car (or, rather, transportation appliance) could not take the g-forces. It never ceases to amaze me that on this road people in minivans, big vans, and SUVs try to take these curves way too fast. My objective in these situations is to stay the hell as far away from them as possible so they don't take me out when they finally do lose it.

I think the root cause is that automobiles, in general, handle much better than they did 20 or even 10 years ago. People can be more negligent and get away with it in modern cars because the safety factor is greater (handling, braking, etc.). What it really means is that they can drive faster and dumber before the laws of physics take over and something bad happens.

Reply to
Fabiano