Opinions on V8 conversions

... such as the Monster Miata.

Obviously increased power = increased straight line performance. But what about cornering, braking, agility, fuel consumption?

Anyone have personal experience, or a data sheet / road test / review printout?

Thanks.

Don

Reply to
Don Q

The conversion process has come a long way from the days of the Monster Miata.

Check out Flyin' Miatas V8 conversions. There've been reviews of it in most of the major auto mags.

It's not cheap...

...but the end result is beautiful.

If I could afford it, I'd already have mine in Colorado being converted.

Reply to
Alan Baker

My wish list is much cheaper:

  1. A small V6 conversion, maybe around 2.5 liters or so?

  1. An automatic as I'm no longer able to drive a manual shift. I's like a 6 0r 8 speed with paddle shifters!

  2. An improved top, I have the strap conversion so my glass window top works but I'm always afraid I'll forget to hold the 2nd top bow forward which will tear stuff, I understand the 1999 and later top frame use a spring mechanism to hold the bow forward? An inexpensive conversion would be nice. If I still have the car (very doubtful) when the top goes bad I'll get a '99 top frame with the new top.

  1. A different rear end, the gearing isn't right for freeway use, I'll need lower RPM in top gear with my V6 and 8 speed auto!

Reply to
XS11E

Check out the Honda/Isuzu motor in this conversion:

" Isuzu 6VD1 (3.2) and 6VE1 (3.4). Aluminum block, DOHC, 75deg V (short height), forged rods, cast crank, open deck, and COP ignition. Built by Honda."

Uses the GM 60 degree bolt pattern for the bellhousing so you should probably be able to bolt up any number of transmissions.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

After reading everything, I decided I am not as enthusiastic about a V8 as I thought.

First hurdle is the price. I realize it is all custom work, not an assembly line, but still... The total cost puts it in the same category as many other, dare I say better, cars such as the Vette and Cayman.

Second, I feel that both the weight and the fuel consumption of this GM block is more than I would be happy with. It was interesting to note that while all the testers expressed positive subjective impressions there was not a single skidpad or slalom figure in sight.

I am not a purist but I am a pragmatist. I don't know how often I would need a 0-60 of 3.6 seconds. I think maybe a turbo is a more sensibe option. YMMV

Thanks again for the info!

Don Q

I don't think you need be too worried on that score. The LS chevy adds a couple of hundred pounds to the car, but that by no means destroys the handling.

Check out this guy's site:

Definitely more economical. A first class turbo setup is around $5K, and if you're handy and have the tools, you could install it in a weekend.

Reply to
Alan Baker

I think we are more or less on the same page here.

1- A light engine that doesn't impact the f/r weight distribution. Or just a turbo. 2- Given my typical driving, any old 3-speed, set-and-forget auto is fine for me. 3- I must say I relly like the power hardtop. 4- Yes! With enough torque you could cruise calmly at around 2000 rpm. Heaven!

Don

Reply to
Don Q

Me too but mine 92 is paid for, trading for a PRHT would be way outside my budget, particularly for a 3rd car I'd seldom drive.

I do like the larger engine, 2L vs 1.6L, the auto with paddle shifters, etc. but I did drive a NC when they first came out and they do NOT fit me, I decided against it then but removing those painful cupholders in the doors fixed the biggest objection I had to the car.

The practical solution is to sell the Miata and live w/o anything that's fun to drive....

Reply to
XS11E