Opinions on V8 conversions

... such as the Monster Miata.
Obviously increased power = increased straight line performance. But what about cornering, braking, agility, fuel consumption?
Anyone have personal experience, or a data sheet / road test / review printout?
Thanks.
Don
On 2014-04-24 02:42:32 +0000, Don Q said:

The conversion process has come a long way from the days of the Monster Miata.
Check out Flyin' Miatas V8 conversions. There've been reviews of it in most of the major auto mags.
<http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130904/carreviews/130909932 <http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/drives-flyin-miata-mazda-mx5-v8 <http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mazda/1990-2009-mazda-mx-5-habu-by-flyin-miata-ar152455.html <http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1311_v_8_roadsters_flyin_miata_habu_and_shelby_amercian_cobra_csx8000/
It's not cheap...
...but the end result is beautiful.
If I could afford it, I'd already have mine in Colorado being converted.

My wish list is much cheaper:
1. A small V6 conversion, maybe around 2.5 liters or so?
2. An automatic as I'm no longer able to drive a manual shift. I's like a 6 0r 8 speed with paddle shifters!
3. An improved top, I have the strap conversion so my glass window top works but I'm always afraid I'll forget to hold the 2nd top bow forward which will tear stuff, I understand the 1999 and later top frame use a spring mechanism to hold the bow forward? An inexpensive conversion would be nice. If I still have the car (very doubtful) when the top goes bad I'll get a '99 top frame with the new top.
4. A different rear end, the gearing isn't right for freeway use, I'll need lower RPM in top gear with my V6 and 8 speed auto! <G>
The Usenet Improvement Project:
On 2014-04-24 18:33:44 +0000, XS11E said:

Check out the Honda/Isuzu motor in this conversion:
" Isuzu 6VD1 (3.2) and 6VE1 (3.4). Aluminum block, DOHC, 75deg V (short height), forged rods, cast crank, open deck, and COP ignition. Built by Honda."
<http://www.miataturbo.net/engine-performance-56/v6-swap-options-70159/ >

Uses the GM 60 degree bolt pattern for the bellhousing so you should probably be able to bolt up any number of transmissions.

I think we are more or less on the same page here.
1- A light engine that doesn't impact the f/r weight distribution. Or just a turbo.
2- Given my typical driving, any old 3-speed, set-and-forget auto is fine for me.
3- I must say I relly like the power hardtop.
4- Yes! With enough torque you could cruise calmly at around 2000 rpm. Heaven!
Don

Me too but mine 92 is paid for, trading for a PRHT would be way outside my budget, particularly for a 3rd car I'd seldom drive.
I do like the larger engine, 2L vs 1.6L, the auto with paddle shifters, etc. but I did drive a NC when they first came out and they do NOT fit me, I decided against it then but removing those painful cupholders in the doors fixed the biggest objection I had to the car.
The practical solution is to sell the Miata and live w/o anything that's fun to drive.... <sigh>
The Usenet Improvement Project:
Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.
After reading everything, I decided I am not as enthusiastic about a V8 as I thought.
First hurdle is the price. I realize it is all custom work, not an assembly line, but still... The total cost puts it in the same category as many other, dare I say better, cars such as the Vette and Cayman.
Second, I feel that both the weight and the fuel consumption of this GM block is more than I would be happy with. It was interesting to note that while all the testers expressed positive subjective impressions there was not a single skidpad or slalom figure in sight.
I am not a purist but I am a pragmatist. I don't know how often I would need a 0-60 of 3.6 seconds. I think maybe a turbo is a more sensibe option. YMMV
Thanks again for the info!
On 2014-04-25 01:43:33 +0000, Don Q said:

I don't think you need be too worried on that score. The LS chevy adds a couple of hundred pounds to the car, but that by no means destroys the handling.
Check out this guy's site:
<http://targamiata.com/ >

Definitely more economical. A first class turbo setup is around $5K, and if you're handy and have the tools, you could install it in a weekend.