primary fan

Question on the primary fan. 1990 Miata. Primary fan sometimes does not come on when engine temp reaches midrange on gauge like it should. almost overheats if I don't turn on the ac, when turn on the ac both fans come on like they are suppose too. just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen before so I don't have to spend hours under a very hot hood trying to trace down a problem. thanks.

Reply to
Mac

Takd a guess and replace the temp sensor for the fan, that's probably the most likely suspect.

Reply to
XS11E

good troubleshooting information found here...

Christopher Muto

Thanks for the info. Found the same stuff today and am going to try and see if that is the problem. little bit of a pain since that sensor is on the back side of the engine. thanks again

Reply to
Mac

could be just the fuse. read the section about 'fans and relay' closely as well as the section called 'a/c condenser fan circuit'. since both fans run when the ac is on we know that nothing is wrong with the radiator cooling find itself. this leaves the the 30 amp cooling fan fuse (found in the main relay box under the hood - not the fuse panel by the drivers feet) is suspect as well as the cooling fan relay or the main relay.

Reply to
Christopher Muto
30A fuse ok, TFA to gnd test works. Looks like the thermoswitch is bad. not sure of replacing it since I can't easily see it or get to get. how does putting the jumper in all the time sound? Fan would just stay on when the ignition is on. any issues.

Reply to
Mac