learned something new

I had no idea that such a beast as this NC hardtop existed.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Ya, they came out with that at the 06 launch, there were pics all around. Never have seen one in the flesh and it really baffles me that they bothered with a redesigned hardtop when the PRHT was surely in the works already, you would think.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I see where you got it now, currently on sale at miata.net. Some additional info from the ad;

Mazda Part # NFY2-R1-81XE-68 Sunlight Silver (22V) List Price: $3,099.00 My price: $1650. Includes my time in helping you to install it on your car, so local pick up only!

It's in the newest listings currently.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Are there any classes of racing that consider the PRHT inadequate as a roof, but will take a "solid" hardtop instead?

I can see some people preferring the older style, (not me!), but I could not believe that Mazda would have done this for such a small market.

Unless some engineer figured out at the last minute what could be fit where, and within budget............Anyone know for sure why this hardtop exists at all?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Chris,

How about if Mazda reintroduced the Mazdaspeed Miata, but with 200 factory horsepower and 16 inch forged BBS wheels, and the PRHT worked into the NB design?

Put the seats from the 1995 "M" edition in it, and offer it in both black and that crazy new red, at a "reasonable" price.

Would you race me to the dealership for one? :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I would have to call it an anomaly. One of those goof ups big companies sometimes make. I can't imagine how few were sold or how much $ was spent in the R&D and build process.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

They don't even have to incorporate the NB into the design for me. I'm one who gives a thumbs up to the NC other than the shitty smiling Mazda corporate face (somebody really should be shot for that mess). But ya, the idea you have is wonderful. If Mazda wasn't so anal about rotary's being in RX's only and such, I'd die for the RX8 engine transplanted into the NC!

A tech I met at an AZ dealership had plans to do the swap into his NB (iirc) but I don't know if he ever followed thru.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Agreed on the NC, I was just doing a dream Miata. In reality, my ultimate Miata may be that 1995 model with a near-complete engine/driveline/interior transplant from a 2005 MSM.

If that car somehow had a PRHT installed, and been painted black instead of red, it would be close to perfect for me.

Not sure why the rotary has never really grabbed my attention. I know it has awesome power and weight, which appeals to me, but I have never seriously considered a car with a rotary, except for the 3rd gen. RX-7, and that was never purchased because it was about $10,000.00 out of my price range.

Pat

Reply to
pws

A few such conversions have been done, but the height of the rotary's output shaft is a formidable challenge. A V-8 is probably easier.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

really! The output shaft, eh? If you know of any links to this project actually being done, post um up for us please. I always just figured that the compact size (of the rotary) would be simply wonderful under the hood of a Miata, interesting!

cd

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Allow me to offer a link to a not totally completed project :-)

00 It's a pretty ambitious one I think going a bit beyond just a engine swap. For a perhaps slightly smaller project simply google "Hansa 23R" and you shall find the project of a German company which I think is working towards selling a conversion kit. However this have been some time coming since they completed the first conversion in December 2006.

Regards Bruno

PS. Hi Chris :-)

Reply to
Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark

I really think that the detachable NC hard top is a concession to the racing fraternity. It allows the rules to permit a lighter racing version as a "stock production" version.

Reply to
Chuck

That's a possibility I guess. Hey Pat, check out the thread Bruno listed, that NC has a hard top on it. I'll have to take a look at Stephen's links. Obviously their are people out there working on this but Mazda could do it in a heartbeat!

Here's my suggestion to Mazda; New Mazdaspeed Miata with the 13b rotary in it and if MX-5 bothers you call it an RX-5 Mazdaspeed ;-) This could be a wonderful performance car with the 'right' price since Mazda would be mostly digging into their parts bin!

Come on Mazda!

We can try! Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

That looks cool! I will have to check it out later in more detail when I have some time. That Mazdaspeed front bumper looks very cool.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Bruno, LIFE IS TOO SHORT! Either that or I'm simply too slow at everything I want to do! I've spent hours following the 13B into NC build! I haven't caught up yet but I'm still in there. This deserves it's own post my friend! Thanks for linking it, this guy is amazingly talented and has spent unbelievable hours documenting everything! I love this guy!

Thanks again! Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo