Quick advice needed

My local garage has told me that the radiator, air con radiator and whole air con system will need to be removed to replace the crankshaft oilseal. Is this really the case?

Supplementary question: The oil is comimg from the area of the crakshaft pulley - is there anything else that could be causing the leak?

Regards, Morien

Reply to
Morien Morgan

I am not sure if the seal can be replaced with the cooling/AC system in place. I have a '90 with AC and removed the radiator when I replaced the timing belt. I left the air conditioning system intact (installed) and had sufficient room to remove the pulleys and front cover.

The only other source of oil on the front side of the motor would be the valve cover gasket. If the oil is evident in the area of the crankshaft pulley, it is most likely the the crankshaft seal.

Roland

Reply to
roland lee smith

I don't know the answer to your question, but I had to have my crankshaft boot replaced a couple of months ago and I'm sure the mechanic never had to remove the parts you mentioned.

I would suggest however that when/if you get the work done, that you make sure they reassemble using a new:

- crankshaft bolt (make sure they torque it correctly for your model year)

- woodruff key

- and new belts while they are at it

All of these parts do not cost much and could save you major headaches in future, i.e. crankshaft/engine failure.

I'm no mechanic but from the research I did concerning a seemingly "wobbling" crankshaft pulley on my Miata, pre '95 Miata's had short, smaller diameter crankshaft noses and it was not unheard of for the Woodruff key slot to become worn, which would lead to the "wobbly pulley syndrome" and if not fixed could lead to engine failure (not good the last time I heard!). You did not say what model year your Miata was but with what I have just mentioned in mind, also ask the mechanics to make sure that the key slot is not worn and that the woodruff key slots into place snuggly. If the key does not fit snuggly, look in the online miata forums/websites for a well documented Loctite solution (Sorry, I don't have the web address at hand right now)

Don't mean to scare you with this extra info, but since the mechanics are in there anyway, have all these done as a precaution. Good Luck!

Jitendra (a Brit. now living in Wisconsin, USA) '95 red

Reply to
Jitendra

I have done the timing belt a couple of times in the '90 and never removed the radiator. Radiator hose (upper), yes; but not the whole thing. There is plenty of room to work in that area.

Likewise, all belts come off, including the air conditioning. But that's it; no need to remove anything else (like the compressor).

How many miles do you have on the car? If it's near 100K miles, the front oil seal is probably leaking. It would be a shame to do all that work and not replace it. Replace the water pump as well. To answer your question: leaking cam seals or valve cover gasket could also allow oil to run down the front of the engine block and look as if it is coming from the crankshaft.

Sounds like you need either a more honest or more competent mechanic. I suggest you find someone familiar with the Miata. If your car is a '90 or early '91, you will be dealing with the dreaded "short nose" crankshaft. If so, it is *especially* important to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Best,

Ken

Reply to
KWS